Q. Should I get tested for cancer because of genetic predisposal?

Dr. Pratik Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 15, 2022 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2022

I am a 39-year-old female. My uncle (Dad’s brother) had prostate cancer in his 40s. My dad was also diagnosed with it at 67 (he is now 69 and followed by repeat PSA without follow-up biopsy). Their dad died at 40 of a heart attack, so we never know if he would have developed cancer. My concern is that they could have the BRCA gene, and so could I, or another gene that could mean I am more likely to get cancer. Should I get tested?

#

BRCA (breast cancer gene) could have been positive for your grandfather, and in that case, it is genetic and running in your blood. But if he was negative, it means it was not hereditary. So now, in the case where we do not know the status of the BRCA gene in your grandfather. We have two options:

1. Screen yourself from 10 years before the age at which your grandfather developed prostate cancer.

2. Get germline testing done for you. It is a simple blood test.

My grandfather died from a heart attack. He did not have cancer as of as he lived. But that does not mean he would not have got it because they all could have a gene. Am I right?

#

I can understand your concern. The germline testing is the answer. You can always go for it. Also, report to the doctor if any symptoms occur.

|