Q. There are red dots on my penis, and I am feeling pain during urinating. What could it be?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

There are red dots on my penis. And sometimes, I am feeling pain during urinating, and I also have prostate pain.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description and attached image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), there is papular lesions on the glans penis. Although it needs further inquiry, the lesions appear due to herpes.

Another possibility is pearly penile papules.

To understand the exact cause of these papules, I feel it will be appropriate if you can answer the following questions.

1. Are you sexually active?

2. Interval between the appearance of lesions and unprotected sexual intercourse.

3. Duration of these lesions?

4. Associated symptoms such as pain, discharge, itching, among others.

5. Presence of other symptoms such as fever, myalgia, weakness, fatigue, among others.

6. Do you suffer from any other medical illness such as diabetes, immune disorders, among others.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Thanks again.

The first symptoms I noticed over a year ago, was feeling itchiness on my scrotum (the skin was red), and I had a burning sensation while urinating, but after few weeks, all symptoms passed away. After few months, I noticed the same problem plus papular lesions (red dots), and they were appearing and disappearing every few months until today. Yes, I am sexually active with the same person for over two years. I do not have any allergies, and I do not take any medicines.

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

With the addition of new information, which includes itching as well as the recurrent nature of the problem, the most likely cause is a fungal infection. This is because fungal infections are often recurrent and increase or decrease depending on the immunity of the person as well as the environment (often grows more during wet months or when there is high moisture).

Among the fungal infections, the most likely diagnosis is candidal balanoposthitis. The diagnosis can be confirmed with the use of KOH examination.

For the treatment part, there is a need for either an oral or topical antifungal medication.

You are requested to see a dermatologist in your city.

I hope this answers you.

Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

Thanks and regards.

|