Q. My tongue has turned bit darker with burning sensation for spicy food. Why?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am not able to eat spicy food at all for about six to eight months. Even if the food is slightly spicy, it causes a burning sensation in my mouth. Also my tongue has turned a bit darker, like I can see it is not pink as it should be because it is on a darker side.

#

I went through your query and the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am very sorry for the discomfort.

As a specialist, I am here to help you. As per your tongue's image, it is blackish in some areas, and the other major part is whitish.

First, let us discuss the cause of blackish areas.

Kindly let me know whether you have any history of medications (long term), radiation, tobacco use, or diabetes? Kindly answer me back that will help in diagnosis.

Kindly let me know if any of these possibilities relevant as the diagnosis will be based on it.

The rest area are mostly whitish-grey and are due to a fungal infection known as candidiasis. Candidiasis causes a burning sensation in your tongue even if the food is not spicy.

Kindly answer the query asked and help me in concluding the diagnosis. I will be suggesting appropriate medications that will ease your discomfort and resolve the issue once and for all.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Kindly reply as soon as possible and oblige.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I took medicine for high blood pressure for the last ten years, but I am not taking it nowadays. There is no history of tobacco use or radiation, but I usually drink tea or coffee.

#

The reply was very helpful. There is nothing to worry about the blackish pigmentation as it is just a side effect of long term blood pressure medications such as Amlodipine and Telmisartan. At the same time, it is not the cause of her burning sensation. The burning sensation is due to Candidiasis. It is a fungal infection leading to whitish or whitish-gray areas. I would recommed Candid mouthpaint ointment, apply over the tongue with your finger as many as possible in a day after wiping the tongue with a cotton ball.

1. Clenorush Troche (Clotrimazole) Lozenges, once daily for five days.

2. Rexidin M Forte (Chlorhexidine gel) numbing gel will ease the burning sensation initially.

3. Betadine Mouthwash (Povidone-Iodine 2%) gargle in lukewarm water two to three times a day.

4. Start tongue scraping habits every time you brush. Brush twice gently.

5. Avoid spicy food for a week.

I am confident the burning sensation will be resolved in two to three days of the medication use. The blackish pigmentation will stay, as it is due to the antihypertensive medication's long-term side effect but it will not harm. Start the drugs as soon as possible. I hope it was helpful. I would strongly recommed not to quit the blood pressure medication, consult a doctor, and monitor the blood pressure. Kindly let me know if any further query or discomfort with the medicines. I will assist immediately and help as much as possible. I pray for your good health. Have a good day. Thanks.

|