Q. Is the red patch with white specks on my tonsil a tonsillolith?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

I have a red patch with a tiny white speck in my tonsil area. I had my tonsils removed about 15 years ago, and the patch seems painless. I noticed it because I have a canker sore on the other side of the tonsil right next to the throat. It is painful, but it seems like a canker sore. I have got canker sores all my life. I just have not been able to find anything about the red patch with a white speck online. Maybe it is a tonsillolith, but when I try to feel it, it feels consistent with the rest of the tissue in my mouth. It is hard to say that with certainty because it is pretty far back there, and I am not able to feel it with my tongue. I am taking Amlodipine, Nexium, and Claritin. Kindly help.

#

Thanks for briefing me about the problem in concern.

I did have a detailed look at the picture you sent (attachment removed to preserve the patient's identity).

Yes, there is a small ulceration present over the right posterior tonsillar pillar. There is no question of having a tonsillolith as there is no tonsil in the first place.

The constant presence of sores in the throat could indicate some form of long-standing inflammation due to chronic pharyngitis or acid reflux, or nutritional deficiency. You may or may not have symptoms of acid reflux. This has nothing to do with any malignancy or cancer.

I would suggest you follow some instructions which should help you out.

1. Maintain a strict diet, and eat on time.

2. Avoid spicy, oily, and cold food and drinks.

3. Keep a gap of about two hours between the meals and going to bed.

4. Do not overeat; rather, keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh-cut fruits in between major meals.

5. Do saltwater gargling eight to ten times a day for 15 days.

6. Avoid alcohol and smoking as it can potentiate reflux.

7. Try to maintain a left lateral position while sleeping to reduce the chance of reflux.

I would suggest you follow these instructions for at least two months and then let me know how you are doing.

You can always contact me and let me know if there is anything more that you would want to ask. I hope this answers your query.

Warm Regards.

|