Q. Should I seek medical attention for discoloration in mouth?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

I am a 22 year old healthy woman. I have been experiencing some discoloration in my mouth. I would like to know your input on it. Should I seek medical attention? I also have a white spot on my throat. There is no pain or discomfort at all. I noticed them about a week ago and I have been trying to figure out what they could be.

#

1. Regarding tongue swelling, it is tongue blister most likely due to local irritation and very less likely, but herpes could also present like this (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
2. White patches could be due to dryness of mouth, leukoplakia, canker sore or thrush.

1. Benign tongue blister.
2. Leukoplakia.

Wait and watch strategy for 10 days. You can use salt containing gargles or lukewarm water with salt for three to four times a day, but only rinse your mouth with it. Follow up with a dentist of primary care physician if you develop pain, bleeding, swelling of the gums or if the lesion fails to resolve in 10 days from now.

Avoid smoking cigarettes, alcohol consumption (if you are doing so) and consuming hot and spicy foods.

Revert back after 10 days to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I am coughing for last one month. Do I have tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. I am coughing from last 1 month. In between, it was alright but again started. I do not have any fever, nor chest pain. Even the sputum which comes out is also normal in color. I do not have any problem with sleeping or normal breathing. But, in case when I breathe out...  Read Full »

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»