Q. Should I seek medical attention for discoloration in mouth?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

I am a 22 year old healthy woman. I have been experiencing some discoloration in my mouth. I would like to know your input on it. Should I seek medical attention? I also have a white spot on my throat. There is no pain or discomfort at all. I noticed them about a week ago and I have been trying to figure out what they could be.

#

1. Regarding tongue swelling, it is tongue blister most likely due to local irritation and very less likely, but herpes could also present like this (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
2. White patches could be due to dryness of mouth, leukoplakia, canker sore or thrush.

1. Benign tongue blister.
2. Leukoplakia.

Wait and watch strategy for 10 days. You can use salt containing gargles or lukewarm water with salt for three to four times a day, but only rinse your mouth with it. Follow up with a dentist of primary care physician if you develop pain, bleeding, swelling of the gums or if the lesion fails to resolve in 10 days from now.

Avoid smoking cigarettes, alcohol consumption (if you are doing so) and consuming hot and spicy foods.

Revert back after 10 days to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|