Q. My current workout program is not helping me lose weight. Should I switch to cardio?

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2020

Hi! So I’ve done 21 day fix for about 2 years or so, on & off and always got pretty good results. As I continued to do it this year, I noticed that I wasn’t seeing results as I usually do, so I knew it was time to change up my routine. I’ve been doing this no gym, no problem workout plan for the last 8 weeks. It’s a combination of high intense strength training and mostly HIIT workouts. I’ve notice great results in my body, such as toning and getting very firm, but I am not seeing the weight loss that I am striving for. I want to lose weight first and then tone. But it seems like my body is toning and looking more muscular then seeing the pounds shed off. The main goal is to have a slim figure, not a “bulky” one as I see my body doing. I was wondering if I should switch out to just doing cardio for a while? My doctor recommends always cardio, cardio, cardio, to lose the pounds but based off research it’s good to have a mix of both. What would you suggest?

#

Respected, Thank you for asking question,

see you are going good way... main thing is, you have to be patient... like you are doing cardio (aerobic exercise plus Strength training) that is good, see in exercise prescription, you give more weightage on aerobic exercises like swimming walking jogging running etc. 5days per week and strength training with lesser intensity just 2 days per week... you need to add flexibility & balance training also. A very important thing is to remain Calm, relaxed and yet dynamic by doing daily Yoga Pranayam Meditation and Sudarshan Kriya Yoga.... by which fat also reduce and redistributed... so effective way is always combined approach... I hope you satisfied with the answers. Feel free to ask again kindly provide feedback.

| 

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Please suggest tips for rapid weight loss.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old, and I weigh almost 300 lbs. I absolutely hate my weight and body so much as I always wanted to be skinny. I lift weights four times a week at my school's weight room. I am a diver on my school's girls swim and dive team, and I am a thrower on track and field team. I g...  Read Full »

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Fitness Expert Now