Q. My current workout program is not helping me lose weight. Should I switch to cardio?

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

I have done twentyone day fix for about two years or so, on and off, and always got pretty good results. As I continued to do it this year, I noticed that I did not see results as I usually do, so I knew it was time to change my routine. I have been doing this no gym, no problem workout plan for the last eight weeks. It is a combination of high-intensity strength training and mostly HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts. I have noticed great results in my body, such as toning and getting very firm, but I am not seeing the weight loss that I am striving for it. I want to lose weight first and then tone. But it seems like my body is toning and looking more muscular than seeing the pounds shed off. The main goal is to have a slim figure, not a “bulky” one as I see my body doing. I was wondering if I should switch out to just doing cardio for a while? My doctor always recommends cardio to lose pounds but based on research, is it good to have a mix of both. What would you suggest?

#

The main thing is, you have to be patient like you are doing cardio (aerobic exercise plus strength training). In the exercise prescription, you give more weightage on aerobic exercises like swimming, walking, jogging, and running five days per week, and strength training with lesser intensity just two days per week. You need to add flexibility and balance training also. The very important thing is to remain calm, relaxed, yet dynamic by doing daily yoga pranayam meditation and Sudarshan Kriya Yoga, by which fat also reduce and redistributed. So effective way is always combined approach.

|