Q. Having pain and numbness in hands and fingers. Plesae advice on my reports.

Dr. Rajyaguru
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2019

I have pain and numbness over both hands for long, and fingers recently. Since pain also was there, he took Ayurvedic applications for arthritis. I had consulted neurologist last week, undergone NCS test, and I have attached the files. Advised medication for three weeks to be followed by surgery. Please help.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I understand your symptoms. I have seen the files attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a condition called carpal tunnel syndrome, and it means that the nerves carrying sensation and driving the muscles of your hands are getting compressed near the wrist bones. This is a quite common condition in females in fifties. You can continue the medicines advised.

Was any thyroid profile done for you? If not, please do thyroid function tests. If that is low, we can treat you for that, and your symptoms might improve. You need to give some rest to your wrists. You can wear carpal tunnel syndrome splint. You can buy it from any nearby good physiotherapy centers.

Keep the brace on as much as possible time. That will help to reduce symptoms. Continue it till three weeks. Do a brace and thyroid function tests. We will decide on further management when you review with thyroid function test.

My TSH tested was 1.65 UIU/ML. Blood sugar random 115 mg/dl. Whether I need any other test for thyroid? Please advise.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal. She does not need any additional medicines. So I would advise continuing with the brace and the medications which are already prescribed by your doctor.

What causes a burning sensation in the right thigh near groin?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a low grade burning sensation in the upper thigh on the right side, near the groin. I have the same burning sensation in the left arm, below the shoulder to forearm. I have heaviness in my legs with a sharp pain in the feet. It got started after taking Ativan. This burning is pret...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are related to anxiety or peripheral neuropathy. I have reviewed all your tests, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are perfectly normal. You have vitamin B12 level in a higher range, and it is not a problem. Coming to this point, I ...  Read Full

Is it serious to have tingling sensation in hand?

Query: Hello doctor, Today, my hand is tingly off and on. It is my entire hand, but it especially seems to affect my pinky finger. My other hand does not have this issue, and it does not affect any other part of my body. The tingling feeling has come and gone for two hours. Is there any way for me to tell...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Tingling sensation in any part is due to nerve irritation supplying the area. In case of hand, it can be due to cervical spondylosis or due to CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome). However, none is serious and can be managed easily. So, no need to w...  Read Full

I have numbness from the shoulder to the palm. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37-years-old female. My weight is 68 kg with the height 5'6". There was a sudden numbness in the right arm starting at the shoulder, traveling to the palm. The numbness began while sleeping and triggered again while trying to sleep again. I experience a strange heaviness while ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Numbness may be due to compression of the nerve while keeping the hand under head in flexion. In this position ulnar nerve may compress at elbow or radial nerve in radial ridge or median nerve compression in carpal tunnel syndrome. Hypothyroidism, anemia or electroly...  Read Full