HomeAnswersNeurologycarpal tunnel syndromeI have pain and numbness in both hands and fingers for long time. Please help.

Having pain and numbness in hands and fingers. Plesae advice on my reports.


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At October 10, 2019
Reviewed AtSeptember 26, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have pain and numbness over both hands for long, and fingers recently. Since pain also was there, he took Ayurvedic applications for arthritis. I had consulted neurologist last week, undergone nerve conduction study (NCS) test, and I have attached the files. Advised medication for three weeks to be followed by surgery. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms. I have seen the files attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a condition called carpal tunnel syndrome, and it means that the nerves carrying sensation and driving the muscles of your hands are getting compressed near the wrist bones. This is a quite common condition in females in fifties. You can continue the medicines advised. Was any thyroid profile done for you? If not, please do thyroid function tests. If that is low, we can treat you for that, and your symptoms might improve. You need to give some rest to your wrists. You can wear carpal tunnel syndrome splint. You can buy it from any nearby good physiotherapy centers. Keep the brace on as much as possible time. That will help to reduce symptoms. Continue it till three weeks. Do a brace and thyroid function tests. We will decide on further management when you review with thyroid function test.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

My thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) tested was 1.65 UIU/ML. Blood sugar random 115 mg/dl. Whether I need any other test for thyroid? Please advise.


Welcome back to icliniq.com. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal. She does not need any additional medicines. So I would advise continuing with the brace and the medications which are already prescribed by your doctor.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Hardik Nareshbhai Rajyaguru
Dr. Hardik Nareshbhai Rajyaguru


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy