Q. Having pain and numbness in hands and fingers. Plesae advice on my reports.

Dr. Rajyaguru
Published on Oct 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2019

I have pain and numbness over both hands for long, and fingers recently. Since pain also was there, he took Ayurvedic applications for arthritis. I had consulted neurologist last week, undergone NCS test, and I have attached the files. Advised medication for three weeks to be followed by surgery. Please help.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I understand your symptoms. I have seen the files attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a condition called carpal tunnel syndrome, and it means that the nerves carrying sensation and driving the muscles of your hands are getting compressed near the wrist bones. This is a quite common condition in females in fifties. You can continue the medicines advised.

Was any thyroid profile done for you? If not, please do thyroid function tests. If that is low, we can treat you for that, and your symptoms might improve. You need to give some rest to your wrists. You can wear carpal tunnel syndrome splint. You can buy it from any nearby good physiotherapy centers.

Keep the brace on as much as possible time. That will help to reduce symptoms. Continue it till three weeks. Do a brace and thyroid function tests. We will decide on further management when you review with thyroid function test.

| 

My TSH tested was 1.65 UIU/ML. Blood sugar random 115 mg/dl. Whether I need any other test for thyroid? Please advise.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal. She does not need any additional medicines. So I would advise continuing with the brace and the medications which are already prescribed by your doctor.

| 

Why is there numbness with tingling sensation in my right hand ring finger?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a month, I carried heavy grocery bags and after that my right-hand ring finger got numb with a tingling sensation. It is persistent for the past one month.  Read Full »

Numbness and burning at the base of the neck with shooting pains. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old male. My symptoms began about three months ago and include the following: Numbness and burning at the base of the neck. Shooting pains and stingers in the upper back and near shoulder blades. Soreness in shoulders. Muscle twitching that comes and goes particularly ...  Read Full »

Can low vitamin D cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having muscle twitches all around my body for about two months. First I noticed it in the legs, around my calves, arms and even on my back. It has been fairly noticeable around my shoulders, and biceps. At one point I even noticed my right eye twitching whenever I blinked,...  Read Full »