Q. Far sight has not improved post cataract. What can be done now?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
Published on May 10, 2018

My Mother underwent a cataract procedure. After the procedure, we were informed that there was some complication while doing the procedure and they have to do another retina surgery. The same happened next day. It has been more than three weeks but there has not been any remarkable improvement. She gets irritation. It feels as if there is some hair or dust particle in that eye. It pains sometimes but the pain has no specific trigger. She also complains of seeing multiple floaters blocking her vision. There is a remarkable improvement in her near sight. She is able to read without using glasses. But the far sight is not clear. As per her, it is worst than her earlier vision before the treatment. Kindly advise what should be our next steps. Also, is the treatment going in the right direction?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Sometimes, complications happen in cataract surgery also.

It is mentioned in the medical literature that there is zonular dialysis this makes a little tricky surgery. This makes lens weak and there are chances of particles of lens going back towards the retina.

But this is completely treatable and I did it in many patients and seen in many patients doing fine. It is like you are driving and anything can happen at any time.

Now, the irritation and pain are a superficial problem and is related to the surface and also could be because of sutures which were used during retina surgery.

This will be fine for a period of time and I will be prescribing medicines.

Little vision will be compromised but the good thing is that her near vision is fine.

Distance vision will take time like four to six weeks and will not be normal as the other eye.

The treatment is going right. So do not worry.

I suggest you try Systane Ultra Eye Drop (Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol) two times a day and eye drop Genteal Gel (Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose) at night. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the eye drops.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

The main issue that my mother complains is of floaters blocking her vision. There are days when she says these are small and then there are days when she complains of big floaters obstructing her vision. We have been made to understand that these floaters are tissue particles left in the eye, which are supposed to dissolve over a period of time. Would you be able to comment on what are the chances of these floaters going away completely?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Yes, these floaters can be small particles floating and obstructing the vision and will dissolve overtime completely.

Has she has been given oral steroids? Because that helps.

Secondly, these can be vitreous floaters which are physiological and are accelerated after cataract surgery and comes in the field of vision but that will take time to settle and will not be fine with any medicine.

So, there can be these two possibilities.

| 

Today, some blood came out of her eye. We are not sure what to do?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Do not worry.

• It is only a discharge which is sometimes stained red.
  • But if she is complaining of pain, blurring more than before, much of discharge and much of redness then she would need a physical examination.

| 

She is complaining of pain and I guess there is some sort of tissue or clot that is blocking the vision.

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

No. The pain will never occur because of that rather it can be due to the stitches.

I suggest you put eye drop Genteal Gel (Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose) two times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the eye drop.

If it is not relieved in one to two days then please go have a physical examination.

| 

So, it has been around six months. But my mom has still not fully recovered. She is still complaining of pain in the eye. The eye is red all the time and the pain subsides only with the eye drops that the doctors have given. She went to the clinic for a followup yesterday. I am attaching the prescription. Need a second opinion on that.

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Well, if it is not corrected then the doctor has to see it clinically.

Since I have seen the prescription and they have asked to get a Nd:YAG (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet).

So, continue with the medicines as suggested. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the eye drops.

| 

Can you elaborate what you mean by one has to clinically? Also, the doctors are suggesting her to undergo a laser process which will help her ease pain. Should we go ahead with this process then?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Laser procedures are done to correct the uncontrolled eye pressure and its consequences like glaucoma.

Clinically means to be seen in OPD (outpatient department) because the reports and complaints initially seem to be a surface problem postsurgical.

Now, this prescription which you are showing is only with medicines which we give to the patients with above-mentioned complaints.

The most important thing is laser procedures and continuous pain which is most likely go towards the development of secondary glaucoma and can only be diagnosed after seeing in the OPD.

So, I would suggest you give me a detailed report of eye pressure and why they are doing.

| 

Age Related Cataract and its Management

Article Overview: Age-related cataract is the most common cause of blindness that can be prevented. Learn about its causes and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Cataract is a decrease in transparency of the natural crystalline lens present in the eye. This lens, as in a camera, helps transmitted light to focus on the retina. Causes of Cataract: Age related cataract is the most common type. Other causes of cataract can be: Congenital (for example - inf...  Read Article

My IOL needs a replacement even after my cataract. Should I go ahead?

Query: Hello doctor, I underwent cataract surgeries in both eyes when I was 17 years old. I am now 31. Two years ago, my right eye lOL was dislocated. Hence, I discussed this with an eye doctor who advised me to perform the surgery again. The surgery was done, and the old IOL in the right eye was remo...  Read Full »

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full »