Q. Is there any medications to cure cataract at initial stage?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

My mother is 65 years old. She has been diagnosed with initial first stage cataract in right eye majorly. I want to know is surgery necessary now, or is there a way out through medications to cure it?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

A cataract is a gradual opacification of a natural lens. It increases with advancing age. An early cataract causes a change in glasses number and vision corrected simply by glasses until the cataract is significant, and vision is not improved even with glasses. Secondly, cataract surgery timing depends upon patient visual needs.

If the cataract is affecting patients daily routine activities, then surgery is advised. If she is fine in daily life and has not any problem in daily life, she can wait. She can revisit eye doctor when she feels further deterioration of vision, and her eye doctor will tell you the stage of cataract. If she is diabetic control her blood sugar level and blood pressure. You are most welcome for any queries.

| 

Can cataract surgery be had in a person with high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother has cataracts in her both eyes. She is advised to have a cataract surgery in her right eye. But her blood sugar level is 150 mg/dL at fasting and 190 mg/dL postprandial. Her HbA1c is 8.8%. We are confused whether cataract operation can be undertaken with this sug...  Read Full »

Age Related Cataract and its Management

Article Overview: Age-related cataract is the most common cause of blindness that can be prevented. Learn about its causes and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Cataract is a decrease in transparency of the natural crystalline lens present in the eye. This lens, as in a camera, helps transmitted light to focus on the retina. Causes of Cataract Age related cataract is the most common type. Other causes of cataract can be: Congenital (for example - infec...  Read Article

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »