Q. I am 34 weeks pregnant, and my scan report shows CSP with a width of 11. 3 mm. Kindly help me.

Dr. Varun Chaudhry
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant, and my recent scan reported a low weight and mildly prominent CSP with a width measuring 11.3 mm. We had a specialist scan after this (images not received yet). But in that report, they have written not to worry about CSP. But we would like to take an expert opinion. Also, the first scan reports a weight of 2210 g, and the second specialist scan says 1897 g. Why is that a huge difference? Even though the scan was done one day apart. I would like you to reassess the images and the measurements used to calculate the weight. Attached specialist scan report from 21 weeks and 34 weeks. I have a history of known muscular VSD that be seen only in color dopplers. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I can understand the difficult situation you are in, considering it is the last few weeks of your query and having to undergo multiple scans does add to the stress. Looking at the static images provided (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), some sections appear as prominent CSP (cavum septum pellucidum). Still, these can be projections also and are user dependant. I would rely more on specialist opinions since they would have viewed everything live. There is also a suggestion of VSD (ventricular septal defect) in your scans and I hope you know about that as well.

Regarding weight differences as well, I can only say that USG (ultrasonography) is operator-dependent, and I would give more weightage to specialist opinion for the same as well.

You may want to discuss this with your gynecologist or midwife, who can take care of all measurements to see if everything is going well.

All the best, and do let me know if you have further queries. I hope this was helpful.

I know the VSD situation. Do you see any errors in BPD, AC, FL, and HC measurements in the attached images? Also, how often do you see CSP width more than 10 mm? Do you know of any complications for babies born with such width detected in the US? Attached is the report of images attached above. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Cavum septum pellucidum above 10, I would say, is the upper limit of normal, and it may be worth getting a transcranial USG of the child after the delivery happens. In terms of measurements, everything looks fine.

It is just that BPD (biparietal diameter) corresponds to 35 weeks and everything else a bit less than 33 weeks which again could be operator dependent. I hope this was helpful.

|