Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am concerned about my bruise due to cerebral angiogram. How to manage it?

Answered by
Dr. Kumar Sonal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2020

Hello doctor,

I had a cerebral angiogram performed 10 days ago. They entered through my right femoral and the test was normal. I developed the expected bruising. However, I have now developed red/purple linear streaks resembling a vascular pattern through the bruise. My thigh is mildly painful, which is new. No fever and I feel fine. I went to the ER only with abnormality and elevated D-dimers (0.64). They performed a Doppler study and found no clots. They said to come back if it worsens. They had never seen a bruise like this one. Any ideas?

I am currently on Spironolactone 100 mg daily, propranolol 60 mg daily, O cella, Sumatriptan 100 mg, and Omeprazole 40 mg daily.

Dr. Kumar Sonal

General Surgery


Welcome to

Sorry to hear about your complaints. Bruise following angiography is quite common and usually subsides over time. D-dimer was elevated in your case, so your consultant has gone for a Doppler scan to rule out thrombus formation, which in your case has come out to be normal. You probably do not have much to worry about, give it some time and it should subside. If it persists or in case you develop breathing difficulty, get yourself checked in the E.R. Also, I am presuming that you do not have a history of allergy to any medications.

The Probable causes:

Thrombophlebitis, allergic reaction.

Investigations to be done:

Platelet counts.

Differential diagnosis:

Thrombophlebitis, allergic reaction.

Probable diagnosis:

Thrombophlebitis. Allergic reaction.

Treatment plan:

Thrombophob gel local application. Wait and watch. Warm compress.

Regarding follow up:

If it persists or if you develop breathing difficulty an urgent ER consultation would be needed.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is the cause of my recurrent strokes and TIA?
Echo shows 60% ejection fraction and Holter shows 190 heart rate. Should I worry?
Ependymoma - Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can anxiety cause high D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full »

Why do I get blackout while turning my head towards right side?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old male with height 5'10" and weight 170 lb. Last week, when I turned my head to the right, I started to blackout. I have been doing neck stretches, pinched nerve exercises, etc. Ever since with no improvement to the condition, this may be due to golf, or light weight ...  Read Full »

What does positive ANA test indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old female fatigue, sluggish, difficulty concentrating, and migraines. I have difficulty regulating temperature with periodic tightness in the chest and fluttering sensation. My EKG, chest CT and chest x ray are normal with negative COVID test. My Vitamin B12, folate...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.