Q. Is it necessary to undergo biopsy for an UTI?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 05, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My aunt is suffering from urine infection. Doctor advised her to go for a biopsy to find out the cause. My concern is, is it safe to get a biopsy?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understood your concern. But, biopsy is not recommended for any form urinary tract infection (UTI).

Biopsy is a test of a small amount of mass which is usually done when cancer is suspected.

For further assistance consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Hi doctor.

She was informed that she has some wound in her womb. So, biopsy is required to find out the cause. The doctor may suspect cancer I think. Is there a chance to get the infection spread to other parts of body after biopsy? Is it safe to do biopsy? I am attaching her colposcopy test result. Please have a look.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

After going through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can assure you that your aunt's major concern is neither urine infection nor the wound in the womb.

At the age of 50, the inner uterine line should be thin and also her menses should have been stopped by now. But, the USG (ultrasonography) report shows a very thick uterine lining because of which she is having periods till date.

This thickening could be because of cancer or even altered hormonal status. Biopsy is required to rule out cervical cancer. Biopsy will not lead to any infection or any such complication, so do not worry.

As far as wound in the womb is concerned your Pap smear (Papanicolauo test) result as well as colposcopy show that the wound is not inside but at the mouth of the uterus and is due to vaginal infections. Such wounds are very commonly seen condition in women nearly 70-80%, so do not feel threatened by it.

• It is very much treatable with proper antibiotics and no need to opt for an operation only for the sake of wound.
  • Biopsy will help you to rule out cancer. Hope everything turns out well for her.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|