Q. Is it possible to go for vaginal delivery with cervical cerclage?

Published on May 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

My wife had cervical cerclage at 20 weeks of pregnancy. Now, she is at almost 38 weeks and the doctor is resisting the removal of cerclage. Last time the cervical length measured at 24th week was 37 mm. We suspect that she is doing this to encourage C-section delivery. Should we get a second opinion in this case? My wife does not like to go in for a C-section unless it is extremely necessary. What to do now?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Once the cervical cerclage (cervical stitch to prevent pregnancy loss or premature birth) has been placed then the guideline is to remove it once the woman goes into latent phase or active labor in the labor room.
  • There is no indication of removing it earlier and letting the woman go back home as this shall precipitate labor.
  • Again labor pain has nothing to do with cervical cerclage. If the baby is in cephalic presentation and if she goes in labor with adequate pelvis then vaginal delivery shall definitely be undertaken.
  • But in case there is any asynclitism (shoulder first) or non-progress of labor or any fetal distress at the time of labor or there is a tight loop of cord around neck as seen on ultrasound and based on NST readings (non-stress test), it is only then cesarean section is planned and not due to cervical cerclage.
  • So, she is right in not removing it now and allowed her to go in labor first.
  • One can actually wait till completion of 40 weeks plus 3 days for labor pain to start naturally.

For further information consult a childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbirth-educator

Is normal delivery possible if the baby weighs more?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has completed 39 weeks of pregnancy. We got an ultrasound yesterday, and the report is completely normal. But her labor pain is not getting induced, so the doctor is suggesting cesarean, as the baby's weight is 3.65 kg. My wife would like to have a normal delivery by inducing pain...  Read Full >>

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is normal. No, delivery is risk-free, normal or caesarean. If her BP (blood pressure) and blood sugar are normal, then there is no contraindication to normal delivery. Regarding the cha...  Read Full

We have been suggested for C-section after 36 weeks. Shall we proceed?

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my wife is 37 weeks pregnant. The growth scan shows that the fetal growth is 34 weeks 5 days. So, our doctor is suggesting for C-section after about a week's time to avoid any suffocation to the fetus. Is it fine to get a C-section during the fetal growth of about 36 weeks? Plea...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way to determine the time of delivery is by doing a fetal Doppler. If the Doppler shows reversal of flow, then immediate cesarean is needed. The best person to advice about this is the person seeing or doing the ultrasound and if the person is a gynecologist. How...  Read Full

Is it advisable to drink water after a C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, Are we allowed to drink water after a cesarean section? If not, what happens to the body if you drink water?  Read Full >>

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. Water is not prohibited after C-section. However, drinking water or any fluids is delayed right after CS because you are expected to lie down flat on the bed at least eight hours after the operation to avoid post anesthesia side effect of a sp...  Read Full

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now