Q. Does cervical neck lordosis affect sleep?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Does cervical neck lordosis affect the quality of sleep? This week I have not enough sleep at night or even day and my arms are in pain. I cannot understand because sometimes my nose are clogged at the right, sometimes at the left and my neck hurts when I do my exercise as recommended by my chiropractor.

I had my three adjustments last month which supposedly should be 36. It stopped due to the COVID pandemic and now I am at home but I cannot sleep well. It feels like my body is not straight. By the way, my pelvis is tilted to the right and also my spine but just a little bit. Can I ask some help or tips from you with regard to what can I do to at least ease the pain or sleep way better? Or a few stretches to at least help my body to slowly reposition to normal?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

I read your concern. Yes, the position of cervical lordosis will affect your sleep if it is not properly supported. The tightness and pain could be due to irritated neck muscles. So support them, ice them up so that spasm gets reduced and neck feels better.

As of now, I recommend you to maintain good posture and support your neck properly in everything you do like sitting and sleeping. Avoid postures that might aggravate the issue like texting a lot. Watching movies in an upward position, etc. Do not do exercises while in pain. Do icing and relax. Support will help you come out of the issue faster.

First, sleep properly and things will automatically fall in place. Keep hydrating properly. Back and other issues could be due to faulty postures and irritable muscles. They will reduce once you do the above-mentioned things.

| 

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

My sleep gets disturbed by dreams and breathlessness. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have used Sizodon LS in the morning and night for a month under doctor's prescription. After that for the last four months, I am getting disturbed sleep by breathlessness and dreams. It is tough for me to get a sound sleep. My ECG and MRI scan are normal. Please advise me to get healt...  Read Full »

I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, a...  Read Full »

Ask a Chiropractor Now