Q. Please help with my pain under my rib cage.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I am 25 years old. My weight is 53 kg and height is 5.3. From yesterday afternoon, I have some pain under my rib cage. Please check the reference image. I can breathe easily, but it is paining when I am breathing heavy. It has also pained when I laugh, cough and puke. Please help me with this. Recently, I took a thyroid test. I do not know of it is useful, but I am attaching it. Thank you.

#

• Is the pain on the right lower side or left lower side of the rib cage? The reason why I am asking this is due to different organs in these areas and the treatment may be different.
  • Please also share if you have cough, fever, chills, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, yellow color of your eyes and change in the color of your stools.
  • Is the pain staying where it is or travelling to the other side or going to the back? Did you have any recent surgery, a fall or a hit to your chest?
  • Any past medical history or medications that you would like to share?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

It is on the right side just below the chest. Please see the attached pictures. I do not have a cough, fever or anything. Everything is normal. I have checked the temperature and it is 98 degrees Fahrenheit. Pain is at the same place only on the right side. I did not have any surgeries in my life. I did not fall or nothing hit my chest. After wakeup from yesterday afternoon it started. I do not have any test reports. But, I have tonsillitis and it is not removed. I have a cold now. When I am inhaling heavily, it is paining more.

#

• It seems like it is coming from your chest and diaphragm or could be simple sprain.
  • Can you get a chest x-ray? Sometimes, pneumonia in the right lung can cause pain in the right side of the abdomen.
  • Also, does the pain become worse with food? If yes, then we may also be looking into gallbladder pathology. If the Chest x-ray is normal, then I would request ultrasound of the abdomen.
  • Meanwhile, I suggest Diclofenac sodium 50 mg twice daily for pain relief. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the chest x-ray to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am attaching my chest x-ray report. Kindly check.

#

Thank you so much for following the recommendations.

• Your chest x-ray looks normal and it makes me think of it is coming from the liver or gallbladder.
  • Please get an ultrasound of the abdomen in fasting. Fast for 12 hours before going for the test. Also, please share if you have any association of the pain with food.

Revert back with the detailed history to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I contacted my local doctor. He did an ECG and said everything is fine and prescribed some medicine. After using this medicine for five days if still I have a problem, then they will do an ultrasound.

#

• I think it should be fine, we can always do like that.
  • Thank you for keeping me updated. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|