Q. Other than surgery, please suggest the possible treatment for my grandma.

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 11, 2020

My grandmother, who is 76 years old, was recently diagnosed with cervical spondylotic myelopathic changes in her neck. Her medical doctors have suggested us to go for surgery while others have suggested avoiding surgery considering her age. She is now partially paralyzed with numbness accompanied by a loss of sensation and restricted or little movement, but could get completely paralyzed if left untreated. She can speak, move her head and fold her limbs. But, she cannot sit, walk, lift her hand and change position on her own. She heart operation with stent before six years. Due to dropped sodium levels recently, she was started on sodium tablets. She has currently undergone MRI scan and I have attached the reports for your reference. Please suggest us all possible treatments other than surgery.

#

• I have reviewed all the attached investigation reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I feel there is a little scope other than surgery.
  • There are compressive changes to her cervical cord, which is probably leading to partial paralysis and numbness.
  • In my opinion, the only other option is physiotherapy for which you can call some physiotherapist in your city. She will guide you for exercises to be implemented for your grandmother.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|