Q. What can be done for severe low back pain and shoulder joint pain?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2022

I am writing this on behalf of my wife, who is 56 years old. She has been suffering from severe low back pain since last 8 to 10 years and left shoulder joint pain since last one year. Please find the enclosed reports, for your kind perusal. We shall be grateful for your valuable opinion and advice about further treatment and management, at your earliest convenience.

#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

She has got cervical spondylosis. This probably causes the shoulder pain rather than a problem in the shoulder. Avoiding forward bending will help relieve her pain. For that:

1. Increase the height of TV in your home by two feet.
  2. If she uses a computer, increase the monitor height by one foot.
  3. She has to read books, or use mobile, tablets, etc. lying down on her stomach where the neck will bend backward and she will feel relief (and not in sitting position where the neck will be bending forward).

There is a disc prolapse which causes back pain. Surgery is needed for this.

Take care.

|