HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)chalazionA new chalazion has developed after I underwent surgery to remove an old one. Please help.

Can chalazion recur after surgical removal?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 25, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 3, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have had this chalazion on my eye for the past three months and underwent surgery, but it has not resolved. The chalazion is more evident outside of my eye than the inside, and there is another one forming. I never had these before in my life. I used a warm compress and took antibiotics, but it was of no help. I have had two eye doctor consultations, but the condition has not improved. The laboratory tests have confirmed the eye lumps to be non-cancerous. I am currently not on any medications. The chalazion peels and gets smaller but does not resolve completely. Will the eye lumps be present always? Will surgery help?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhev Mittal


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for stopping by.

I am here to provide expert opinions on your medical issues. Let us understand what is chalazion. Tarsal or meibomian glands (sebaceous glands) are present in our eyelids. The mouth of these glands opens at the lid margin just behind the root of the lashes. Their function is to secrete oils so as to prevent tear film from evaporation. At times when their passage or opening is blocked, these oils do not come out. It causes inflammation which leads to swelling, resulting in chalazion. There are three treatment options available. First is medical management which includes the application of hot fomentation (moist heat application) and lid massage. The index finger is used to massage eyelids vertically, starting from 1 cm (centimeter) below the root of the eyelashes and lid margin. I also suggest you apply Azithromycin ointment topically over the lid margin. The steps must be repeated twice daily for one month. I suggest you take an intralesional Kenacort injection if the first step fails. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them, and take the medicine with their consent. Lastly Incision and currettage can be done. I hope this will help you. Thanks and best regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:


Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy