Q. What are these boils that my brother has on his eyelids?

Answered by Dr. C M Wavikar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Chalazion or Moxifloxacin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hello doctor,

I am asking this question on behalf of my brother. He is 37 years of age, 5' 7" tall and approximately weighs 70 kg. He is not on any medication. He is a commercial airline pilot by profession and is perfectly fit to fly. He has recently passed his physical fitness exam that is conducted each year. A year back, there was a boil in only one eyelid. But, the bulge was barely noticeable from outside and even from inside the eyelid. Also, there was very slight uneasiness and no irritation or pain a year back. Since there was very minimal discomfort, he did not pursue any treatment.

Now, in the past 1.5 months, he has got boils in both the eyes that are noticeably larger and caused him some irritation and pain. His eyesight is better (same as always) and he still able and authorized to fly. Although we hold neutral beliefs in alternative medicine and believe it might be effective in the long-term, we are seeking quick and efficient advice or treatment. Especially considering my brother's profession and his subsequent flight physical exams that he must clear this coming year. However, we prefer to avoid any surgical treatment unless and until absolutely necessary.

I have attached a high resolution picture of my brother's eyes. Please give some advice that you can. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be sure to respond at the earliest. I am not sure whether it is a cyst or a stye or a chalazion or something else. Frankly, I have very minimal knowledge of their differences. Yet, I feel and hope it is nothing severe and can be cured with proper medicines and lifestyle habits.

Related Questions:
Slept with my contacts on. Now, there is a white cloud blocking my vision. Help.
What are the precautions to be taken for an infant while flying?
I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?

Dr. C M Wavikar
Ophthalmology (Eye Care


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • From the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears to be a chalazion on both the eyes.
  • I suggest Vigamox eye drops (Moxifloxacin), one drop four times a day and Chloro applicap (Chloramphenicol) twice a day in both the eyes.
  • Please understand that it is better to get the eye examined by an eye surgeon and take treatment as the diagnosis on photo may not be as accurate. In case, it does not resolve in a week, you must show it to an eye surgeon.
  • In the meanwhile, to avoid recurrence of chalazion, it is better to maintain good eyelid hygiene. Ask him to get treated for dandruff, if he has it.

Revert back after a week to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist


Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. We were also suggested to take Augmentin 625 mg and Pantop 40. Is it safe to take them along with your treatment? I certainly do not mean to second guess your diagnosis and I am sorry if it sounds so. But, we were also told that it could be a bilateral cyst. Lastly, in either case, from your instinct and experience, this would not be a major cause for concern for us if suggested medications and remedies are followed. Am I right?


Dr. C M Wavikar
Ophthalmology (Eye Care


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You can safely start the tablets suggested.
  • Yes, it is not dangerous, but better to have it treated.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

What is the treatment for chalazion?
Query: Hi doctor, I have chalazion in my right eye for the past eight months. What should I do? Please tell me.  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are different options to treat chalazion that depends on the location of chalazion and is there single or multiple. If the patient has skin problems like acne, then they get multiple and recurrent chalazion. The first general measures are lid hygiene and warm compre...  Read Full »
Are these small wounds on my eyelid due to heat?
Query: Hi doctor, I had Lasik in the beginning of last year. I have a dandruff issue with my hair. After a few months of surgery, occasionally I had eye itching. When I visited my doctor, he said that it is due to dandruff and asked to clean eyelid with baby shampoo. After cleaning, I used to feel relieved...  Read Full »
Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are normal meibomian gland duct openings in the border of the lower eyelid. They are abnormally protruded and this is known as meibomitis. You should continue shampoo wash. In addition, do warm compresses and use lubricant eye drops three to four times in a da...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Sepsis - Causes|Symptoms|Risk Factors|Diagnoses|Treatments|Prevention
Sepsis is a medical emergency, as it causes multiple organ failure. When the body's response to infection in the blood s...  Read more »
I have on and off acid reflux as well as mild dysphagia. Is this esophageal cancer?
Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have been experiencing on and off acid reflux for a few weeks as well as mild dy...  Read more »
There is a hard lump under the nipple. I am afraid of breast cancer. How to proceed further?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an...  Read more »

Also Read Answers From