Q. After recovery from strep throat, I feel chest heaviness while breathing. Is there any problem?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I had consulted earlier here. I had complained with issues of cold and strep throat. Doctor had prescribed Azithromycin, Crocin, and Fexofenadine. The strep throat is recovering. I no more have running nose but I feel that my chest is heavy while breathing. Could you please tell me what it is?Nothing to worry right?

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

According to your statement, you had a strep throat and now your chest is heavy while breathing. Upper respiratory tract infection is very common complication of untreated or partially treated strep.throat it makes your chest heavy while breathing due to thick mucus production. You do not mention here about your fever or joint pain or shortness of breath or chills or cough, etc.

Again strep.throat can cause several complications like pneumonia, bronchitis acute and chronic, streptococcal toxic shock syndrome, rheumatic fever, etc., which associated with chest pain, heaviness, fever, cough, etc.

You are on medications like Azithromycin, Fexofenadine, Paracetamol, etc. You can add Montelukast, nebulizer with Salbutamol three to four times daily with mucolytic agents like Mucinex, Carbocysteine, Bromohexine, Pulmozyme, etc., to make your thick mucus loosen and remove easily through coughing.

You should undergo CXR (chest x-ray), CBC (complete blood count, ECG (electrocardiogram), etc., to find out the cause and carry on your medications. If any complications occur inform me I will help you to treat further.

| 

You only had given me those medicines and asked me to follow the same for 7-10 days. I do not have a fever (97 F), and there is no cough. I do not have to worry about Covid-19 right?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Do you have cough right now or not? I think you are totally well now. Are you anxious about Covid-19 attack as your country is locked down now like mine? If your chest heaviness is related to anxiety then you should be mentally strong. No medications are needed. You had a strep throat and that is gone now. Do you have a high fever or severe respiratory distress or lack of taste or anosmia (loss of smelling power) or diarrhea? I think your answer will be no. Then how can be affected by Covid-19? I assure you that you are not affected by Covid-19.

|