iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologychest painI have been experiencing intermittent chest pain radiating to the shoulder along with constant burping. Is this a sign of heart disease?

Are intermittent chest pain, acid reflux, and constant burping signs of heart disease?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At July 23, 2023
Reviewed AtSeptember 20, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been experiencing intermittent chest pains for over three months, which occur randomly and can happen at any time. The pain is mostly on the left side, extending up to the shoulder, without any vibrating sensation, although it occasionally occurs on the right side as well. The pain does not appear to be linked to physical activity. In addition, I have constant burping and a history of acid reflux for which I am currently taking tablet Pan D 40 (Pantoprazole). I would appreciate your suggestions on whether these symptoms could be related to a heart condition. Kindly help. Thank you.

Thank you for your query. Chest pain is most likely due to gastritis and reflux disease rather than a heart-related issue. Considering your symptoms and age, the likelihood of heart disease is very low. However, if you still have concerns, it would be a good idea to have an electrocardiogram (ECG) done for further reassurance. To manage your symptoms, it is advisable to avoid fatty, oily, and spicy foods. Instead, opt for a diet rich in green leafy vegetables and fruits. Engaging in light physical activity, such as taking a walk after meals, can be beneficial compared to resting immediately after eating. It is also important to establish regular sleep habits and minimize stress levels. If you smoke or consume alcohol, it is recommended to quit or reduce your intake. If you recently started taking tablet Pan D 40 mg (Pantoprazole), continue with it as it may take up to a week to show its effects. However, if you have been taking it for a long time, consider switching to Tab Rabpill LS before breakfast once a day for two weeks. Additionally, you can add Syrup Sucral O or Gelus (Sucralfate and Oxetacaine / Oxethazaine). Two teaspoons three times a day for a week, to help alleviate symptoms. For immediate relief from pain, you can take an antispasmodic tablet Dicyclomine 20 mg, or a tablet of hyoscyamine 10 mg as needed, up to three times a day. I hope these recommendations help you. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or doubts. I hope this answer helped you. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Cardiology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

aciditychest pain

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Cardiology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy