Q. Can stress cause mild chest pain?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I am a 24 year old male, who weighs 80 kg and I am 6 feet tall, and I have no previous cardiac problems. I have a slight chest pain, almost like the type caused by grief. I work a lot, especially over the last month. The pain has been on off all day since two weeks. I do not want to waste my time going to the hospital, and people keep telling me that it is stress. Should I go to the hospital?

#

I understand your worries, but there is absolutely nothing to worry.

• Chest pains can be caused by a lot of factors, from cardiovascular-related to non-cardiovascular related. For example heartburn, costochondritis, angina, etc.
  • Your chest pain is non-cardiac because, in the case of cardiac-related chest pain you will have other accompanying symptoms like shortness of breath, and the chest pain that radiates to other parts of the body like jaw. Cardiac-related chest pains are more common in elderly patients.
  • Your chest pain might be related to your work, too much stress can induce chest pain.
  • I suggest you try taking tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg, two times a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine after their consent.
  • If the pain does not subside or in the presence of additional symptoms, consult your general practitioner for evaluation.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|