Q. I get chest pain with blood coming from the throat when I sleep. Is it manageable?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I am 60 years old. I have chest pain in the left side. I am taking injections for it. I also have pain in the throat. I have blood coming from the throat when I sleep. It can be a bleeding spot in me. My blood pressure has got increased. My doctor has not given me a diagnosis. My doctor has prescribed Bisoprolol and an inhaler Dymista which cures the spot pain in the throat and Amitriptyline for the generalized pain. It has cured my palms itching at night which I had for 15 years. The pain is still there. My condition is worse. It is manageable with drugs. What do you think?

#

Dymista is used for allergic symptoms. You may be having issues due to some allergen in your household or somewhere you spend most of your time. It may be pets, carpets, pollens or anything. Bisoprolol is used to lower the blood pressure, and it is good to take it. If you are feeling good with these drugs, it is good to keep a follow up with your treating doctors and continue taking the medications as prescribed. High blood pressure can also be a cause of weird feeling or pain in the chest. Your blood pressure should be under strict control. If it goes high again, it can become troublesome.

Continue taking Amitriptyline. Consider taking consultation from a gynecologist. Try to rule out the cause for having bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract. Some of your symptoms warrant screening for (upper GI tract) ulcers. At this age, you need to go for a colonoscopy to rule out the issues of the lower GI (gastrointestinal) tract. Ask your Gastroenterologist about it.

I had ulcers when I was young. I get black stools. Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, I can see the blood dried on teeth and lips, which is red. Is this is due to an ulcer? Do these ulcers are serious? You feel that the pain in the throat gets better with Dymista. Is it due to an allergy? Can it bleed due to allergy? Why do I get vomiting fits? I am allergic to certain bad organic smells. I choke on them when most people can cope. It may be an allergy. Why do I have reduced sleeping on a stone floor when compared to bedding? Alcoholic drinks, hot drinks, and spicy foods make me unwell.

#

Ulcers in the stomach and first part of small intestine do not bleed like this (to stain lips and teeth). This kind of fresh red blood can be anywhere from gums, tongue or palate or very first part of esophagus and surrounding structures. Not all GI Ulcers bleed. If they bleed, that blood doesn't come to mouth. Complaint in that case can be dark stools as you mentioned. Surely ulcers are not serious? Ulcers can or can not be serious. It depends on a lot of factors. You feel if the pain deep down in my throat gets better with Dymista its due to an allergy? I doubt it. There are many differential diagnoses being the cause of this pain. As it's stated you felt better with the medications. If that's the case, we can assume that the pain in throat may be due to some allergy-induced-inflammation of the throat.

But we can't say it for sure without ruling out other possible causes. Can it bleed due to allergy? Allergy can cause inflammation and sometimes there is superimposed infection of the area. These lesions can bleed. Why do I get vomiting fits? One possibility of the pain in throat and nausea/vomiting can be stomach ulcers, hyperacidity and GERD. That's what I aforementioned to discuss with your Gastroenterologist.

Actually I am sure I am allergic to certain bad organic smells, I choke on them when most people can cope. Maybe an allergy explains why I felt less ill sleeping on a stone floor than in contact with bedding. Alcoholic drinks hot drinks and spicy foods make me unwell.. I would certainly advise you to please avoid these unhealthy items. Rather take healthy and balanced diet. Hope it helps. Please feel free to asl more if you need assistance and personalized response regarding your health issues. Regards!

| 

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article

Can an ulcer cause severe stomach pains?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with an ulcer a couple of years ago. I watch what I eat so not to aggravate it, but I woke up early this morning having horrible stomach pains all over the midsection. What could be going on?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»