Q. I get deep pain in chest and both arms with normal EKG. Is it back muscle problem?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

I have been having infrequent deep chest pains, along with pain in my left arm, right arm, and legs at times. The pain mimics that of a heart attack, but I had an EKG, echo, blood, and CT everything has come up normal so far. When I am on the computer I usually slouch and have poor posture. Could my pain be related to the back (like the thoracic spine) and is there any way this could be diagnosed or a chiropractor could do about this?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

You have already ruled out the fearful cause of such pain, so the second most common cause of such pain is improper posture. More than a chiropractor you need to understand the need for correct posture as you have to continue working in a similar environment for the next 40 years.

Proper working table and chair are a must for good posture. The chair should be stable and adjusts easily for the height and tilt. Chair with a backrest that supports the curve of your lower back should be used. You should sit back in the chair when you work on a computer. Thighs should be horizontal with your knees and hips at the same level. Feet should rest comfortably on the floor or on a footrest while seated.

The height of the desks is at about elbow level when sitting down. The chair should be adjusted such that back can rest against the chair while working on the computer.

Your elbows should stay near your body in an open angle allowing circulation to the lower arms and hands. Your arms are nearly perpendicular to the floor. Your wrists are nearly straight. Along with this regular muscle stretching and isometric strengthening exercises for the neck, shoulder girdle, and lower back must be done to avoid such pain.

Acute pain such as in your case requires analgesics (narcotic), hot fomentation, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), ultrasound by a physiotherapist and alternative treatment modalities like acupuncture for immediate relief and yoga and meditation for long term benefits.

| 

I am suffering from chest pain and arm pain associated with fever and vomiting. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from right side chest pain and right arm and also have fever and vomiting. What should I do? Is it symptoms of something big?  Read Full »

I have pain in my right arm. Should I check whether my arteries have clogged?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 43-year-old. I have some not so mild pain in my right arm for the past two days. Since yesterday, I have some pain in my chest, towards the right. It pains when I cough or clear my throat. Pain is not unbearable but not mild also. Two days back, I felt a bit weak in my right arm,...  Read Full »

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Ask a Chiropractor Now