Q. I get sharp chest pain and cough while cleaning a spa with an ozone generator. Please help.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Hello, my family and I are cleaning a Spa that has one of those Ozone Generators. The Spa didn't notify us of what it was and we really didn't pay attention since it was usually off and might have occasionally turned on by itself but that was usually around 5-10 minutes before we left. The last clean ended up with us coming in and having the generator on for the entirety of the clean which was about 40-50 minutes of cleaning. We didn't know what it was, until we started looking online and started to suspect it was either a UV disinfectant or an Ozone Generator and we received a confirmation that it was an ozone cleaner during the most recent clean. I'd say half way through the clean I developed a sharp chest pain whenever I would attempt to inhale and exhale which was accompanied with an overall discomfort in my chest and followed by nausea which lasted over the next day. My family had similar symptoms but they were slightly milder despite being older age. When we came in for the most recent clean, the generator was on again but we still developed the same symptoms as before despite us unplugging the generator. I have had an on going cough for the last couple months and it does seem to have started when I began cleaning this particular spa. The ozone generator states on the front that no people plants or pets are to be present when the generator is on and the website of the manufacture states that at least 2 hours have to go by after the device is off

# Hello

Dear sorry about your health condition.

Yes ozone exposure in few individuals may cause more problems due to increased sensitivity.

The symptoms including cough, throat irritation, chest tightness etc.

Treatment is avoid exposure to the ozone.

Vit e supplements may be useful. Budesonide may useful to reduce inflammatory reaction in lungs.

Even though it has to be evaluated from other medical conditions present with same symptoms.

Like ARDS, corona virus infection, diabetic ketoacidosis, lactic acidosis etc.

Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is.

Please get it done chest x ray, complete blood picture, blood sugar levels and ecg.

Review with reports or consult with your physician he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

|