Q. I have chest pain on left side involving armpit upto clavicle. Please suggest.

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am having some chest pain on my left side. It feels like it is around my heart. Kind of a slow, deep ache from my armpit, over the whole chest, up to the clavicle. I have been having a bit short of breath, and when I stand up I feel really dizzy and light-headed. It takes about 10-15 seconds to feel normal again. It has been like this for the last three to four days. But I have experienced pain in my chest like this before, but it has gone away in a day or two. I am 29 years old. I have a healthy diet and no previous health concerns.

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Firstly, this does not appear to be CAD (coronary artery disease) related pain to me, however, it should be evaluated to rule out some unusual cardiac causes, especially valvular problems.

Because of your age, long duration of symptoms without treatment and atypical nature of pain, it does not look like pain due to CAD. Now anginal pain would typically increase or occurs on exertion and relieves with rest. And cardiac pain would persist for a few minutes rather than seconds and does not remain round the clock.

Intermittent chest pains may not be cardiac. Such pains are usually due to acid reflux. Acid reflux pain occurs more frequently in lying down position, occurs intermittently, persists for a few seconds to minutes. So, yours may be related to it. Other gastric symptoms may be associated like epigastric pain, bloating and burping, etc.

Another possibility should be considered is of costochondritis, if there is definite tenderness over the chest wall. See if you also have any neck pain, tingling, numbness, etc, for cervical pains.

Regarding dizziness, it is likely postural hypotension. This may occur due to dehydration so keep yourself well hydrated and have a proper diet. If you have a BP apparatus then should check your blood pressure (BP).

Now if shortness of breath is significant, then this needs early evaluation with examination and tests like ECG (electrocardiography) and echo. So, your symptoms are nonspecific and overlap with many non-cardiac and benign causes as well. But you will need a thorough evaluation with an examination, ECG and echo to rule out cardiac problems.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.