Q. I have chest pains, which increases on smoking. What to do?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

I am a 20-year-old female with a weight of 63 kilograms. I have chest pain for a couple of months and it became constant now. Pain gets worse when I eat. I have pain in different spots. Sometimes it is present on the right side or left side or on my ribs. Sometimes, I seem to have swollen ribs. I always have burping along with my chest pain. I do smoking and it increases my pain. I am trying to stop it. I feel bloated. Even my head hurts a lot. My body feels tired. I feel like I need to have more energy to breathe. Sometimes I have difficulty in breathing. I have lightheadedness sometimes. I have chest pain, rib pain, difficulty in breathing, tiredness, lightheadedness, confusion, headache, neck pain, back pain, bloating, spotting, and stomach pain. Please suggest.

#

I understand your concern. The main risk factor is smoking and try to quit smoking. Pain at different sites and bloating can be due to acidity or gas. You have mentioned about swollen ribs. It is unusual to have it because ribs are bones and they do not show swelling. You can have pain over it. I suggest you do a blood CBC (complete blood count) test and chest X-ray. It helps in getting a diagnosis. For pain and bloating, you can take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before taking food for five days and tablet Diclofenac 25 mg twice a day after taking meal for five days. Please mention whether you have a cough or wheezing sound in the chest. If yes, then mention the duration of these symptoms.

|