Q. I have middle chest pain with a slight numbness in feet. Kindly help.

Dr. Isaac Gana

I am 46 years old. I have pain in my middle chest for the last few days. I can pinpoint the pain. When I wake up in the morning, I can feel a little bit of numbness in my feet. Sometimes, I have fatigue during the day. And I do not take any medicine.

#

Did you carry anything heavy before the pain started? Do you have a history of diabetes or stomach ulcer? Apart from the numbness and fatigue, have you noticed increased hunger or increased thirst? Does the pain radiate to other parts of your body?

I did not carry anything except the dumbells of 10 lbs each that I lifted for a couple of days. Every time I lifted, it was for 20 to 30 times of lifting in each arm in a standing position. I did it for approximately one or two weeks. I do not have any history of diabetes or stomach ulcer. No increased hunger nor thirst. At this time, pain is not radiating to other parts of the body.

#

The chest pain is most likely due to the weight lifting. I advise you to take it easy on the weight for now. Reduce the frequency and make sure to stretch before any exercise. You can take Paracetamol 500 mg TDS for a few days. It will help with the pain.

For numbness and fatigue, there are quite some number of causes like diabetes, multiple sclerosis, medications, transient stroke, etc.

You said you were not on medication nor diabetic, so they most likely not the cause.

Did the symptoms begin gradually? Does the numbness affect both legs? Can you remember any history of trauma to your head? Have you had severe headaches or difficulty in speaking lately? Will you say the numbness and fatigue have worsened?

You are right. The middle left chest pain was probably due to weight lifting. I will follow your advice on this.

It was very light for the numbness and has been for both feet, but the symptoms are not gradual. I do not remember any history of trauma to my head. No severe headaches or difficulty in speaking. Also, numbness and fatigue have not worsened.

I was afraid that it might have something to do with a heart attack. If it is not, I think it would not be a big deal.

#

You are all good. If you continue to experience numbness and fatigue, please go to the hospital for a physical evaluation.

There are some chronic illnesses that present with similar symptoms gradually. If detected early, the prognosis will be good. I believe you will do just fine.

| 

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnoses and Treatments

Article Overview: A hiatal hernia occurs when the upper part of the stomach pushes through the diaphragm. Here, in this article, we discussed the types, causes, symptoms, risk factors, treatment options, and preventive measures of hiatal hernia. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is a Hiatal Hernia? When the upper part of the stomach bulges through the diaphragm, which is the large muscle separating the abdomen and chest, it is called hiatal hernia. Here, the stomach pushes up through the opening in the diaphragm called esophageal hiatus. The food pipe passes through t...  Read Article

Sprains and Bruises

Article Overview: A sprain is caused due to stretching or tearing of ligaments, which are fibrous tissues that connect bones together in a joint like the ankle,A bruise is the discoloration of the skin caused due to an injury.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is a Bruise? A bruise is the discoloration of the skin caused due to an injury. Because of an injury, blood vessels get damaged, and blood from the damaged vessels gets collected near the surface of the skin. The different types of bruises are: Subcutaneous - Bruising under the skin. ...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»