Q. Is it normal to get sudden intermittent pain on sternum?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am experiencing a sudden piercing pain on my sternum and a small region to the left of it, just above the heart. I only get this pain occasionally when I lift something or bend. Today I held my 1-year-old nephew in my arms for about 15 minutes and when I bent to put him down, I felt this sudden intense pain around my chest bone. This is intermittent and been having this problem from past one month occasionally.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Well, that could be due to muscle weakness. Could you please tell me what you do and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine?

| 

Thank you so much. I am 30 years old and do not have much physical activity in my work. I walk about 2 km daily. Apart from that nothing much.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Well, that is the reason for pain. If you are worried that it could be due to heart, then it is not possible because that is a continuous pain. You have pain only while you lift. So most important thing is walking daily for 4 km at a stretch and not in the whole day.

Secondly, you can take ultrasonic therapy at that painful area with any nearby physiotherapy center and also do hot fomentation and apply some gel. For muscles to become strong will take around 3 to 4 months and with walking only, if you are regular.

| 

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full »

Are chest pain and breathing problem common in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 weeks pregnant. I am having chest and lung pain on the right side along with trouble to take a deep breath. I am suffering to catch my breath. I went to the ER and they did a blood test called D-dimer. It came back positive for a lung blood clot on the left side. But, the doctor ...  Read Full »

Are there any tests available to check pelvic muscle weakness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from pelvic muscle weakness. I want to know is there any blood tests or any other diagnosis.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now