Q. Is it normal to get sudden intermittent pain on sternum?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am experiencing a sudden piercing pain on my sternum and a small region to the left of it, just above the heart. I only get this pain occasionally when I lift something or bend. Today I held my 1-year-old nephew in my arms for about 15 minutes and when I bent to put him down, I felt this sudden intense pain around my chest bone. This is intermittent and been having this problem from past one month occasionally.

Do you have a question on Chest Pain or Muscle Weakness?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Well, that could be due to muscle weakness. Could you please tell me what you do and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine?

Thank you so much. I am 30 years old and do not have much physical activity in my work. I walk about 2 km daily. Apart from that nothing much.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Well, that is the reason for pain. If you are worried that it could be due to heart, then it is not possible because that is a continuous pain. You have pain only while you lift. So most important thing is walking daily for 4 km at a stretch and not in the whole day.

Secondly, you can take ultrasonic therapy at that painful area with any nearby physiotherapy center and also do hot fomentation and apply some gel. For muscles to become strong will take around 3 to 4 months and with walking only, if you are regular.

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?
Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full >>
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. We need more details of the problem. What is your age? Do you have any history of diabetes or hypertension? Where is the exact location of pain? Does the pain increase on walking or climbing stairs? Kindly review with fur...  Read Full

Are chest pain and breathing problem common in pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 weeks pregnant. I am having chest and lung pain on the right side along with trouble to take a deep breath. I am suffering to catch my breath. I went to the ER and they did a blood test called D-dimer. It came back positive for a lung blood clot on the left side. But, the doctor ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Pregnancy has many transformations in the body and much burden on heart work increases. Mild breathlessness and chest discomfort is common during pregnancy. Because of pregnancy, they cannot do many tests, which may be harmful to baby. They can ...  Read Full

Are there any tests available to check pelvic muscle weakness?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from pelvic muscle weakness. I want to know is there any blood tests or any other diagnosis.  Read Full >>
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pelvic and lower back muscle weakness will give you symptoms of back pain and leg pain. You should do blood tests. Check for vitamin D and B12 levels. These blood tests are useful to check the vitamin levels in the blood which co-relates with muscle weakness of the body...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now