Q. Is left-sided breast pain always due to cardiac problems?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have had on and off pain under the left breast and sometimes in the center for 16 hours.

Should I worry? Or am I fine?

I also had an EKG earlier today, which was normal and a normal echo a month and a half ago.

#

What is your age? Any co-morbidities like diabetes, hypertension? Or any family history?

I am 32 years old. I have nothing but asthma.

But I have had so many blood tests done this month.

My grandma has diabetes, and my aunty has hypertension. But I do not have any of that.

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

Young age and no risk factors, normal EKG, and echo. Chances of cardiac pain (angina) are rare. You should not worry about the cardiac issue. Many a time, localized chest pain is due to costochondritis, an inflammation of rib joints. If there is tenderness (costochondritis), take Diclofenac Potassium 50 mg for pain and capsule Dexlansoprazole 30 mg daily before breakfast. Physiotherapy will also help. To know the future cardiac risk, have a fasting lipid profile done. If already done, then no need to repeat if normal.

Musculoskeletal, costochondritis.

Fasting lipid profile.

Pain killer, anti-inflammatory.

I went to the emergency room because I was so scared, and they said all is normal. EKG, they even tested me for blood clots and other things, all normal and great.

#

As I already there is no need to worry. But you did a good job relieving your stress. ECG and blood tests excluded serious issues. It is natural to worry when we have chest discomfort or pain. Not all chest pains are due to angina or heart attack. We have to see the patient as a whole to diagnose the cause of chest pain. I recommend reading my articles regarding chest pain and heart attack to know more about it. If you still have any queries or concerns, you are always welcome to ask.

|