Q. What causes dull chest pain?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Published on Jan 18, 2020

I am having chest pains that are dull feeling in random parts of chest at random times throughout the day and night. Been having them for 2 weeks now. I have a newborn child, 9 months, and I do not sleep alot because he does not either. That has been going on for 9 months, the lack of sleep. I am 34 years old with no health issues and no family history of heart disease or issues. My doctor did an ECG and said it was normal with an abnormality. I went to a cardiologist and he did an ECG and said it was normal but scheduled me for a echocardiogram and stress test to rule out anything. Am I just having anxiety, which is what everyone keeps telling me, or could it very well be heart related? I am scared. Thank you for your assistance.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

I passed carefully through your medical history and would like to explain that your ECG seems to be within normal ranges. Nothing to worry or panic about. The lack of sleep has played a role in exacerbating your clinical symptomatology. Anyways it is rationale to follow your doctor advise and pass through the recommended tests cardiac ultrasound and stress test.

| 

What about the sharp and dull pains that come and go? The sharp ones in the center of my chest happen and go in a few seconds. The dull ones last for hours.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

Let me know that that sharp pain is unlikely in its nature to be cardiac. From the other hand, the dull ache lasting for hours would lead to increased carfiac enzymes and ECG changes if it were cardiac. So just relax. Just ask you doctor to check cardiac enzymes (Troponin, CK-MB); if they result normal you do not have to worry about this issue. You would quietly wait for the recommended additional tests.

| 

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full »

I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,Recently I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety, last night I could not sleep at all because of restlessness and from a couple of days. I have been sleeping less for like two to three hours in the night. I am also suffering from anxiety, where I sweat a lot and become restless. P...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for lack of sleep and weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She recently got her tests done. She is not able to sleep properly. She is unable to regain her sleep if she wakes up during the night. Can you please go through the reports and let me know what the actual problem is? I am attaching a copy of the test resul...  Read Full »