HomeAnswersHematologychest painI have had right-sided pain under my ribs. Could this be cancer or some blood issue?

What does right-sided pain under the ribs indicate?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 28, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

I have had unexplained right-sided pain under my ribs and right arm for the last four years. I initially thought it was liver because the tests were abnormal, but they have been normal for the last 12 months. I had a stabbing pain last week and had some blood tests taken to see if it was a liver problem. But it does not seem to be. Gastroenterologists have no clue what it is. Recent abnormal tests are high WBC, low phosphorus, and high ANA. I have attached my reports for your reference. My previous MRI abdomen, ultrasound, MRCP, and chest X-ray were all normal. Could this be cancer or some blood issue? Kindly suggest.

A hematologist with 22 years of experience in treating hematological, oncologic, immunological, rheumatological, and infectious diseases went through all of your data. Everything except leukocytes and neutrophils is high. All other things exclude the possibility of any tumors. The pain seems to be related to some gastroenterological etiology. I mean some duodenal ulcer or some left-limiting gastroenteritis. Liver enzymes get slightly deranged if painkillers or antibiotics are used. Get your ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate, LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), and stool culture sample tests done for further evaluation. Build up your vitamin B12, folic acid, pyridoxine, vitamin D, and iron levels as well.

Patient's Query

They order a C-reactive protein teat in my country. Is this equivalent to ESR? Mine is usually normal. I do not understand your comments about the blood count. It is my WBC and neutrophils that are high, along with my ANA. Could that be a sign of blood cancer and what tests would I need?

No, there is no evidence of any cancer. WBCs, neutrophils, and ANA (antinuclear antibody) indicate an inflammatory etiology. There is a bit of a difference between CRP (C-reactive protein) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). CRP shows some sort of infective etiology. ESR is raised in infections, inflammation, tumors, etc.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan
Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Hematology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Hematology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy