Q. Why am I still having stabbing pain in chest and back after six months of gallbladder removal?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I had my gallbladder removed almost six months back. However, I am still having the same sharp stabbing pain in my chest and back. I also have fatigue and nausea. I went to the ER two nights ago. They advised me to undergo an EKG, stress test, liver and kidney function tests and other blood tests. The results of all the tests were normal. Initially, I thought I had a pancreatic problem, but the doctors said it was normal. So, I think it may be due to blocked bile ducts. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same. I am currently taking medicines for the heart problem and diabetes.

#

• I think it is gastritis and reflux disease. You should avoid spicy and fatty foods. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. 
  • Maintain regular sleeping habits and do regular exercises. Have some walk after meals instead of taking rest immediately.
  • I suggest you take acid suppressant like tablet Pan DSR 40 mg (Pantoprazole) before breakfast once a day for two weeks. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • If you have a suspicion of pancreatitis, then you can get serum lipase and amylase done. Repeat ultrasound for the pancreas.
  • Blocked bile duct would cause jaundice along with elevated alkaline phosphatase and increased GGT (Gamma-glutamyltransferase). So you get these two tests done to rule out your doubts.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|