Q. Why is my left arm and chest paining while walking or running?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr.Meera Premanand

I am a 39-year-old male. I have been having a tingling sensation down on my left arm and hand when walking or running. I had taken ECG and blood tests, and also I have seen a physiotherapist and massage therapists, and they have said I have a very tight shoulder and muscles in that region. The pain has been there for about a year. My left neck is a lot tighter than my right when I move or stretch it. I do not have any chest tightness. I was just concerned about this when I was reading about angina because I have gained about 20 kg in the last 1.5 years due to poor eating habits. Please help.

#

I understand your concern. As per your reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity), ECG (electrocardiography) is normal. Do you have a fear of angina? How do you get chest pain? Do you have a family history of cardiac issues? Do you have hypertension? Do you have diabetes? Do you have a habit of smoking or drinking? Please answer the questions for me to guide you better.

Thank you

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

It is not central chest pain. It is tingling in my left arm and fingers on the left side when I walk or run. Sometimes it does not happen at all. My left neck is always very sore, even at rest. I have seen a physiotherapist, and they said it is tension in the left neck muscle. If I stretch my left arm, it really hurts compared to my right. Two weeks back, I got stomach issues, and the doctor said that was reflux. That has not happened again. My grandmother passed away due to heart failure, and that is why I am concerned. My blood pressure is usually fine. Sometimes it goes up when stressed, but then it goes normal. I gave up smoking seven years ago. I gave up drinking alcohol about six months ago. Please help me.

#

Your symptoms seem to be due to nerve compression in the neck. This causes tingling, numbness, or burning type of pain in the hand and arm. Compression may be due to muscle spasms in the neck. Usually, it is due to vertebral disc compression or spinal canal issues. You may need to consult a neurosurgeon. He may advise certain treatments as per our diagnosis.

Most gastric issues are due to the following:

1) Acid reflux.

2) Ulcer.

3) Non-ulcer gastric inflammation.

4) Avoid caffeine, tea, spicy and oily foods, etc.

5) I suggest tablet Omeprazole 20 mg daily in the morning.

6) Family history is important.

7) Keep blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol levels in control.

8) Have fasting lipid profile done and HbA1c (Glycated hemoglobin) levels done.

|