Chickenpox Prevention

Can I still get infected from my child who had chickenpox a week back?

Query: Hello doctor, My child had an outbreak of chickenpox one week ago. I would like to visit her and would like to know. Can I still get infected? If yes, would a vaccine help 2 days before meeting her? I have attached my height, weight and BMI details.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I want to tell you that based on the weight for your age and height, you are very severely underweight and the ideal weight you should have in my view is 68 kg to keep a good balance in life and keep your immunity up. With this BMI of 10.20, you are very ...  Read Full »

Does miscarriage affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male and my wife is 31 years old. We got married before two years and had not planned for pregnancy. My wife's medical history is as follows. Two years before her thyroid level was near 18 and she took regular medicine. Now her thyroid level came down between 2 and 3 a...  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Detailed information given by yourself is very useful to give you further direction in the planning of the baby. Generally, apart from doing routine prepregnancy checks, we need to do fertility related tests, including ovulation that have egg release confirmation thr...  Read Full »

How to safeguard rest of the family from chickenpox?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is suffering from chickenpox. What can I do to prevent it from spreading to my family members? What type of diet can he take? He is a 10 year old boy whose weight is 51 kg.  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case all of your family members have got full blown chickenpox earlier, there is nothing to worry about. Otherwise, you need to keep your brother in a separate room until all his lesions have crusted. Wash all his utensils and clothes separately in hot water. He ca...  Read Full »

Is there any way I can prevent getting chicken pox?

Query: Hello doctor,My sister has chicken pox, and I have never had it before. Exam season is coming and I am worried that I might get chicken pox. My sister lives in the same house as me. Is there any way I can prevent getting chicken pox and is there a high chance of me getting chicken pox. I understand,...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is highly probable that you will get infected unless your sister has been in isolation. There first few days of the rash are most infectious. When the scabs are formed infectivity is gone. It takes about two weeks or more for all the blisters to scab off so in case y...  Read Full »

Can vaccine after seven days of exposure help prevent chickenpox?

Query: Hello doctor, I felt the head of a young girl then hugged her for a second in the same room for three to four minutes. The next day, she broke out with chickenpox. What are my chances of getting the chickenpox and will getting the vaccine seven days later help me?  Read Full »

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An infectious person becomes contagious one to two days before the actual recognition of chickenpox. The vaccine is more effective within three days. But can be given thereafter too. Any person can get chickenpox after 10 to 21 days of exposure. Chickenpox appears...  Read Full »

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. If you have chickenpox or herpes zoster virus infection and you are breastfeeding, then your baby does not get infected with the chickenpox virus through your breast milk. However, if you still have blisters on your skin, then it is poss...  Read Full »

Can body heat cause chickenpox?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter got chickenpox last year. During that time we did not take her out and applied neem leave paste. It got cured in 15 days. Now, this year also, again she got chickenpox. Now, she is 4 years old. What to do now? Why has it come again?  She ate chicken and mango the same day....  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would want to know if the diagnosis of chickenpox is made by you or a doctor. It is highly unlikely for anybody to get chickenpox twice and even if the person gets chickenpox twice least likely it would be once every year. Her weight 11 kg is very less for...  Read Full »