Q. Can I get chickenpox again?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I got chickenpox when I was a kid, but I got it again now. I have been using Calamine lotion for rashes and antihistamines for itchiness. Could you suggest me some medications for it? What kind of medications will I have to take, and for how many days?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. First of all, I would like to ask you if you are sure it is chickenpox because you get chickenpox only once in your life. If you had chickenpox in childhood, it is less likely that it is chickenpox again. Maybe what you had in your childhood was something else. Secondly, a good antiviral drug like Acyclovir and Valacyclovir has to be given in this illness to clear off the virus fast from the body. The doses have to be advised as per the patient, but generally, Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day or Valacyclovir 500 mg thrice daily is enough. For itching, Calamine lotion and antiallergics like Atarax (hydroxyzine) 10 mg are more than enough. Meanwhile, I will suggest you stay at a safe distance from your family for the next five days as both COVID and seasonal viral flu are easily transmissible.

|