Q. My 5-year-old boy always looks tense and gets angry when someone is unhappy with him. Why?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

My 5-year-old boy seems tense and thinks most of the time. He cannot accept if anyone is unhappy with him, he gets really angry, and he starts crying on things which we cannot understand.

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

Children do get upset because of several reasons other than hereditary. Mostly it triggers because of present stressor in the environment such as unfulfillment of basic needs (food, social, hygiene, health, etc.). Other stressors might be lack of parental love and attention. You did not mention the type of thoughts or content he is experiencing. Are there any other behavioral observations?

More behavioral observations and history are required to understand the case better as follows:

1. The onset of behavior.

2. Try to note crying behavior with surroundings.

3. Anger triggers.

4. Get physical check up of your child (iron and vitamin deficiency also lead to such agitation).

5. Mother's history during pregnancy.

6. Home environment. I hope it helps.

How to handle my husband with effective communication?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is very broadminded and good hearted. He is an all rounder in every arena, both at home and outside. He can manage anything and can do any task. But, he quickly gets irritated when saw any flaw around. He expects me to be 100% perfectionist in any work at home. Due to the irr...  Read Full »

Why is a 2-year-old beating parents on waking up?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2 years old little girl is beating us the moment she wakes up. So whenever she sleeps after some time she starts waking up and starts beating and after some time she is fine but with no past memory. She also says something while she is asleep. She is doing this every day.  Read Full »