Q. My 5-year-old boy always looks tense and gets angry when someone is unhappy with him. Why?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2020

My 5-year-old boy seems tense and thinks most of the time. He cannot accept if anyone is unhappy with him, he gets really angry, and he starts crying on things which we cannot understand.

#

Children do get upset because of several reasons other than hereditary. Mostly it triggers because of present stressor in the environment such as unfulfillment of basic needs (food, social, hygiene, health, etc.). Other stressors might be lack of parental love and attention. You did not mention the type of thoughts or content he is experiencing. Are there any other behavioral observations?

More behavioral observations and history are required to understand the case better as follows:

1. The onset of behavior.

2. Try to note crying behavior with surroundings.

3. Anger triggers.

4. Get physical check up of your child (iron and vitamin deficiency also lead to such agitation).

5. Mother's history during pregnancy.

6. Home environment. I hope it helps.

|