Q. Will previous chlamydia infection have harmful effects in fertility of males?

I am a 36-year-old male. I previously had a chlamydia infection and was successfully treated. Will such previous infection interfere or affect my fertility? I recently had a scrotal examination and the results were normal.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Chlamydia infection persistence or recurrence can definitely cause an apparent increase in the pus cell and WBC count in the seminal fluid which can easily decrease the total sperm count and its quality.

If you have been treated it is good, but again it takes 90 days for new spermatids to form adults and become functionally mature for fertilization. It is always best to get a repeat semen analysis and culture done to be sure that there is no repeat or recurrence of chlamydia infection if you have been sexually active post your previous examination or if your partner was not treated along with you.

| 

My infection was in 2016 and I have not had any repeated STDs. So, if I was successfully treated and there are no repeated cases, does that mean that I am more or less normal in terms of fertility? And would the scrotal examination be relevant to show that my testicles are normal (assuming there are no other factors affecting my fertility)? I can show you my scrotal ultrasound if that would help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The fertility of males completely depends on the total sperm count, their motility, maturity, and presence or absence of any abnormal forms. Just getting a chlamydia negative report and a scrotal ultrasound done would not rule out male infertility if any.

Scrotal USG would rule out varicocele or spermatocele only which can hamper sperm production. So considering your last test was in 2016, a repeat semen analysis and culture is mandatory at present to establish your present fertility status.

| 

Yes, I understand. But my real concern is if the previous infection would affect my fertility, assuming that I have no other medical or anatomical problems. I am just worried that the previous infection might have some effect on me still. But I completely understand that a semen count and culture is still necessary to determine overall fertility.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is still difficult to comment on previous chlamydia persistence without urine and urethral swab culture test.

| 

I have had several urine tests done already including urethral swab tests and all came out negative for recurrence of chlamydia or any other STDs. As far as my previous infection is concerned, my doctor performed such tests (urine and urethra) after I was treated for chlamydia and cleared me of any recurrence. Since 2016, I have never had any similar infections.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

That's vey nice to hear.

| 

Given all what you said, I should not be worried about my previous infection in 2016 in regard to my current fertility, assuming all other conditions are normal. Am I right?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I would still insist on semen analysis for clearance and if your cultures are negative for recurrence then you are likely to be chlamydia free.

| 

Can low progesterone level cause difficulty in getting pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently took a women's health test to test my hormones. I just got my results back and my Progesterone level is extremely low where as my Estradiol level is in the normal range. I have dealt with many irregular periods since I was young and have not been able to conceive a child wi...  Read Full »

Can Levaquin be used for gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?  Read Full »

I cannot understand my semen analysis report. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor,The semen analysis report is in my hand, but I cannot understand it.Liquefaction time- 30 minutes.Duration of abstinence- four days.Appearance- creamy white.Volume 4.0 ml.Ph 8Fructose- Present.Motility- 100.Spermatozoa- rapid 20%, slow 10%, non-progressive motility 5%, immotile 83%.Vita...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now