Q. Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice daily?

Answered by Dr. Purva Jingar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Chlorhexidine Mouthwash or Stained Teeth? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Purva Jingar
BDS
Dentistry

Chlorhexidine mouthwash is only used twice daily because of the following reasons:

1. It has a property to stain teeth if we use it more
  2. As we brush twice a day, which is recommended for every healthy person, and mouthwash works best after brushing teeth.
  3. Using mouthwash unnecessarily will stain the teeth, and they have chemicals that are not suitable for teeth without brushing.

Wish you good health and happiness.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Will using electric toothbrush make teeth even looser?
Query: Hey doctor,I have bought an electric toothbrush because a dental hygienist said he would recommend it as I have gum disease. The bleeding has stopped tremendously after regular brushing and help from the dental hygiene. My question is, because I have a few loose teeth at the bottom, will using an el...  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hissain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it will because it does not have the same control as your hand will do. Not till you keep it as controlled as possible but it is a mechanical device. It can make your teeth more mobile if the tooth mobility is more than grade one (that means you have a slightly loo...  Read Full »

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?
Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurav Pandey
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not need to be frustrated. It is very common. There are various factors affecting your bad breath. You can try these things to improve your oral hygiene. Avoid foods and beverages that cause bad breath, eat more fruits and vegetables, take sufficient amount of...  Read Full »

By What Age Toddlers Should Start Brushing Teeth On Their Own?
Article Overview: Brushing helps to maintain the normal oral flora. If we encourage our kids at younger age to brush their teeth twice daily, it will become a good habit and it will also help to prevent tooth decay.  Read Article »
Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
Pedodontist

You can give your children a baby-sized toothbrush when they are around one year old, thus encouraging the children to use the brush themself. Although the child may initially play with the toothbrush rather than brushing their teeth, it will ensure a good habit in them. Afterwards, you ...  Read Article »

Is it possible to cure my respiratory allergy and throat infection with some medicine?
Can inhaling enamel paint residual fumes cause health issues?
Arthritis in Its Many Forms