Q. What causes chondromalacia of knee?

Dr. Chintan

I feel pain in my knees only when I climb downstairs. I feel pain below around knee cap. I am 48 years old and was quite active in running and sprints. My MRI shows nothing and doctors are stating chondro patella. I am on rest but no big difference in four months. All medical traits like vitamin D are great. Recently I started taking Glucosamine. I am healthy and quite fit.

Dr. Chintan

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I understand you have pain in the knee going downstairs. It is good that your knee MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is normal which means you do not have something major to worry about.

Regarding Chondromalacia patella as diagnosed, it is usually due to just softening of the cartilage. I would recommend you not take complete rest in fact you can just do some exercises of the knee to make your muscle strong like quadriceps, Hamstring exercises, static exercises, and knee ROM exercises. Movement of the knee makes cartilage more healthy but avoid running jumping or strenuous activities.

I would suggest you can continue some medications for calcium and glucosamine for healthy bone and cartilage. If you do the above exercises and take good care of your joints your condition will improve.

|