Q. What is the possibility for my choroidal nevus to turn into a melanoma?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I am a 31-year-old female. In my routine eye examination, my doctor discovered a choroidal nevus in my right eye.

My mother died of cancer 15 years ago, and another family member currently has a brain tumor discovered after he had an issue with his eye. Since then, I am having bad anxiety about it, and I am feared that it is actually melanoma and has already spread into my body.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. According to your statement, you have been suffering from anxiety due to the presence of choroidal nevus in your right eye. I can understand your concern.

A choroidal nevus is usually a benign pigmented tumor of the blood vessels. It is typically gray in appearance but can be brown, yellow, or white. It is the most common benign intraocular tumor, developing in about 7% of the population. Only in rare cases may it turn into a choroidal melanoma.

Choroidal nevus must be observed once a year or every six months. During an examination of choroidal nevus, certain features like the size of the choroidal nevus, thickness, orange pigmentation, fluid discharge, retinal detachment are to noted.

No medical treatment is needed for choroidal nevus. And it does not affect the power of the vision.

Take care.

Thank you for your reply. Can it just remain benign for the rest of my life?

Thanks.

#

A choroidal nevus is usually detected on routine dilated fundus examination by an eye specialist using indirect ophthalmoscopy. It can be confirmed by undergoing investigations like ultrasonography, specialized photographic imaging, ocular coherence tomography, or a fluorescein angiogram of the inside of the eye.

It can be visualized by an ophthalmoscope available in every general physician's office, as I have already mentioned. Your GP can examine your choroidal nevus routinely and exclude some important points that usually indicate the bad prognosis I have already mentioned.

Hopefully, your choroidal nevus will remain benign for the rest of your life because choroidal nevus is very much rare to turn into melanoma or become cancerous. It is primarily stable overtime for the rest of your life.

Take care.

|