Q. My wife has bad cough and sore throat for more than two weeks. Should she consult a doctor?

Dr. C. Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

Recently, our house underwent some construction and the whole place was filled with dust. Naturally, we cleaned surfaces and floors, but all my family members (aged, 49, 37, 4 and 2) developed a terrible cough and sore throat that lasted several days. After a week and a half, almost all of us have recovered, coughing only occasionally. However, my wife, aged 37-years-old, a healthy adult with no history of asthma or other respiratory disorders, still suffers from a bad cough and sore throat. Do we need to visit a doctor? Kindly look at the condition, and guide us.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com,

Yes, I suggest you consult your doctor as her cough is still present. I would recommend she get a CBC (complete blood count) and an X-Ray of chest, PA (posteroanterior) view done. For cough, in adults, I suggest taking tablet Montair FX (Montelukast 10 mg and Fexofenadine 120 mg) one tablet twice a day, tablet Doxycycline 100 mg one tablet twice a day, tablet Pulmoclear (Acebrophylline 100 mg and Acetylcysteine 600 mg) one tablet three times a day for three days. I suggest Montelukast Levocetirizine syrup (for pediatrics) 5 ml at night for five days for children.

I hope it helps. In case of more questions, feel free to contact us.

|