Q. I have chronic kidney disease with a history of UTI. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

I have chronic kidney disease and wanted to know about the treatment. Before they consulted doctors for nearly six months for prostate that is urine infection they were told it is urine infection and were under medication and taking painkillers. More but recently, they come across these kidney problems which is serious.

#

Have you done any KFT (kidney function test) before?

From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and diagnosis, it seems you have underlying kidney disease which got aggravated by urinary tract infection. You have received appropriate antibiotics and hopefully, it will improve.

Regarding dialysis, you would need to continue it and monitor kidney function tests. Also, you have anemia for which you are getting injection Anfoe which should help. You would need to make AV (arteriovenous) fistula at earliest. Also, tell me what was your serial kidney function tests for the last six months.

| 

I was done with only urine tests as doctor told me that I have an only urine infection. Based on that I was under medication since long back and never thought about these chronic kidney diseases. It was great shocking news for me. Please suggest us what to do to remove this urine infection or should I go for a kidney transplant? Please help.

#

You are on antibiotics for urine infection which should help in that. Take those antibiotics as advised by your doctor. You can repeat urine culture after two weeks of completing antibiotics. We will see if creatinine comes down after completing antibiotics. If creatinine remains high after the treatment of urine infection, then you should go for a transplant. Until then keep doing dialysis twice a day.

| 

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. Can she avoid dialysis?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease, and her creatinine level is 9.8 mg/dL. She has a history of diabetes for the past 25 years. She is taking Insulin from the beginning. She has hypertension for the past 35 years. Her hemoglobin is about 11.0 gm/dL. Her eyesight has been ...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now