Q. I have a stinging feeling on the head of my penis, and I ejaculated greenish semen. Why?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

For the past few weeks, I noticed I have been ejaculating greenish semen. I have a stinging feeling on the head of my penis. I have tested negative for urinary tract infection, sexually transmitted diseases, and prostate infections twice now. I have an issue with getting an appointment for a urologist in my area, and I am concerned about this issue. My primary care doctor gave me Levofloxacin 500 mg to take for seven days, but my semen color has not gone back normal. She also checked my prostate and said it was fine. Are there any antibiotics you can recommend, or is there any idea what this issue is? Please help.

#

The description you gave is associated with chronic prostatitis, and it is usually required proper diagnosis for the bacteria causing it to provide appropriate treatment. For diagnosis, you need semen for culture to decide on antibiotics as treatment. The most commonly used antibiotic is Ciprofloxacin (Ciplox) 500 mg twice daily for six weeks. I would prefer if we get the semen culture first as we can select the sensitive antibiotic and use it for six weeks, but if you cannot do the semen culture, then you can use Ciprofloxacin (Ciplox) as prescribed above. Please get the test done and follow up.

|