Q. I have a cough, cold, watery eyes, and vice hoarseness with green phlegm. Kindly help me.

Dr. Radela Yvonne Cortes
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have been suffering from cough and cold for three days now. I have a clogged nose, watery eyes, and hoarseness of voice. My phlegm has turned greenish already. I have recently been diagnosed with LPR but have done with medications though I still feel phlegm down my throat. I have taken Alnix plus yesterday as I have allergic rhinitis. I do not know what medications to take to make me feel better. I am a 42-year-old of height 5'11 and weigh 53 kgs. Kindly help me.

#

I need more details before I can suggest you a treatment. When were you diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux), and what medicines were given to you? Do you have a fever? Are you asthmatic? Do you have allergies to food and medicines? Do you have any maintenance medications, especially with your allergic rhinitis?

My impression is upper respiratory tract infection, especially acute rhinosinusitis but, because of the pandemic, we also consider COVID. I may suggest an antibiotic once I get a response to my questions. In the meantime, you can continue your Alnix plus (Cetirizine and Phenylephrine) twice a day for five days. You may add NAC (N-acetyl cysteine treats acetaminophen) Exflem 600 mg (Acetylcysteine) sachet, dissolve one sachet in 50 ml water, and take it after dinner for one week to help with your phlegm. Did you have a swab test? I suggest you get an X-ray of the sinuses. Please get back with the answers for further help.

I was diagnosed with LPR two months ago. I was prescribed to take Pantec (two tablets a day). For my allergies, Azelac sprays in the morning and Snizel spray in the evening. I have not undergone a swab test. I have not had any fever from the onset of my symptoms nor any difficulty in breathing. I do not have any food or medicine allergies. I was told to continue with sprays if I have allergies. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I suggest you start with an antibiotic Amoxiclav 1 gm (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid), one tablet twice a day for one week for rhinosinusitis, but continue the Alnix and Exflem. I suggest you add Sinupret (Sambucus nigra, Primula veris, Rumex Crispus, Verbena Officinalis, and Gentiana lutea), one tablet two to three times a day for decongestion. If there is no improvement in three days, you should have a swab test.

I hope this was helpful.

|