Q. Why do I see green phlegm when I cough?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

My symptoms started as sinus congestion, a sore, and scratchy throat. Now I have developed green-cloudy phlegm, a persistent cough that sounds productive for a while and then dries for the rest of the day. I am experiencing cold sweats and wheezing in my chest when I lie on my back. I have recorded a temperature of over 99.1 degree Farenheit. I am taking Sertraline for anxiety and Metoprolol for high blood pressure. Would you please give me your opinion on this?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. The best way to treat this infection is a seven-day course with good antibiotics like Cefixime, Clavulanate, and Mucinac (Acetylcysteine) for mucus extraction. Also, I would suggest you get tests like a chest X-ray and sputum analysis to find out the nature of the infection. But I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about. This is bronchitis which can be easily treated. I advise you to get the tests and follow up with your local physician, or you can follow up with me as well.

|