Q. I have an inflamed, dry, and red throat for about six weeks. What could be the cause?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have had an inflamed, dry, and red throat, tender neck glands, and white film on the tongue, for about six weeks. I took 500 mg of Azithromycin, but it does not work. I have then prescribed two doses of Diflucan (200 mg each, I believe), and Nystatin swish and swallow neither worked for me. Then I went to the ER. They determined it was an infection of some sort and gave me a shot of Rocephin, then Doxycycline for seven days, and then Amoxicillin if the Doxycycline did not work. The Doxycycline seemed to improve my throat symptoms little by little, and my throat seemed less red day by day, but it did not completely eradicate the infection when I completed my course. I then took one dose of Amoxicillin, but it threw me into the ER because of intense stomach pain. I still have the infection in my throat and do not know what to do, and the doctors also do not know what it is. Currently, I am taking Biktarvy.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

#

If an antibiotic is not effective in tablet form, you should take it in an injection form. And one more thing with antibiotics there should be an antacid to digest them quickly and to protect from acidity or stomach discomfort. Along with antibiotics, which helped you reduce your symptoms, take tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg before a meal. If Doxycycline is helpful, then you can continue with it. And do blood CBC (complete blood count) test, to know the intensity of your infection. And do not drink cold water. Drink a bit of warm water; it will help cleaning your throats. And also, you can send a photo of your affected area if possible. Let me know in follow up. Thank you.

|