Chronic Tonsillitis

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Why does my Adam's apple hurt on touch?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male with a history of some tonsil problem. About seven years ago, I had both a peritonsillar abscess and mononucleosis around the same time. After that, I began seeing an ENT for some fatigue and for lymph nodes on my neck that were both large and painless. After a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please send me pictures of your throat and of the prescription of the surgery done before? I feel you have recurrent follicular tonsillitis, and you got peritonsillar abscess for the same reason. Chronic throat infection also causes lymph node enlargement, which ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a constant feeling of hair in throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from a bad health anxiety. For the past few months, I feel like there is a hair at the back of my throat and it gets worse at night. My ear also pains and I can feel three pea-sized lumps on the right side of my neck. I got cold twice a couple of months back and I am taking Om...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can tell you the following. You have pharyngitis, and your tonsils are inflamed. The foreign body sensation in the throat is due to a post-nasal drip. Do you have any nasal congestion?...  Read Full »

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »

What causes white patches in the throat, but strep test was negative?

Query: Hi doctor, Two weeks ago, I developed white patches in the throat. I do not feel a sore throat, but there is slight discomfort, runny nose, and cough. I think it is due to cold. Also, I feel body pain for the past three days. I was tested for strep, and the rapid strep test was negative. The white...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By looking at the history and symptoms, a few things come to my list of differential diagnosis. Before that, I would like to know a few things like whether it is associated with difficulty in swallowing, headache, neck stiffness, etc. As you mentioned you have already t...  Read Full »

How to prevent frequent episodes of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with tonsillitis for past three years. Nearly four months back, my tonsils got swollen. Followed by that the right tonsil remains the same and the left got subsided. In these four months, I had few episodes of pain in my ear. Also the glands in my right side of neck got swo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the conversation we had, I understand that you are an 18 year old male suffering from tonsillitis and you have been having acute exacerbation of the tonsillitis now. Due to the infection, you suffer from ear pain and swollen neck glands. You seem to be suffering fr...  Read Full »

What could be the reason and treatment for recurrent tonsillitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 20 years old and has tonsil problem for last six days. She took medicine for last six days but did not get any relief. She often has the problem of tonsils in two to three months interval. I have tested the CBC. Kindly suggest the remedy. I am also worried about CBC. D...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tonsillar infection is not reducing with regular medical management in six days, it indicates that it is chronic tonsillitis. The treatment given may be inadequate or resistant to the organism causing infection. You need to consult an ENT doctor in person and ...  Read Full »

What is the white lesion in my mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have one white lesion in my mouth. I do not know whether it is painful or not because it is very deep and also, how long it has been there. Kindly guide me and also tell me if there is any need to worry or it is just only aphthous ulcer. I am not sexually active since 1.5 years. I d...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are probably having a tonsillolith. It occurs in chronic tonsillitis. It is not an ulcerative lesion at all. There is nothing to be worried about. Use Hexidine gargles. For more inf...  Read Full »

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is chara...  Read Full »

Does a small tonsil stone require surgery or will it go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a tonsil stone. I have typical symptoms due to tonsil stone along with slight ear pain since the last four to five days. I got checked yesterday and was given an antibiotic and betadine to gargle. It is small in size as said by the doctor. Will it go away or do I h...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have chronic tonsillitis with tonsillolith (stone in tonsil). The curative treatment for this problem is surgery (tonsillectomy). Other conservative treatments may give you a temporary relief, but the condition usually recurs after conse...  Read Full »