Chronic Tonsillitis

What can cause chronic tonsillitis and knee swelling in a child?

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is seven and a half years old. She is suffering from tonsillitis for five years. During every month, she takes antibiotics with Paracetamol. Now, she is having swelling in her knees for the past five months, and sometimes, it gets migrated from one knee to another with little f...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. First, swelling in the knee and throat infection can occur related to each other or it can be a condition called rheumatic fever. You need to discuss this with your pediatrician to have a definitve diagnosis. It needs to be differentiated ...  Read Full »

How to cure a throat pain that gets better with antibiotics and then comes back?

Query: Hi doctor,I have throat pain in my right side for a month. After taking antibiotics, it subsides. When I stop taking it, it starts again. The doctor told me it as pharyngeal wall congestion. How can I cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Pruthvi Raju Uppalapati

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your condition. You have recurrent pain due to chronic tonsilitis or pharyngitis, chronic gastritis, and persistent nasal discharge. Taking antibiotics helps a lot. Start taking medication to resolve it and have some lifestyle changes. You can take tablet A...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to have tonsils removed due to chronic tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I need a second opinion on removing my tonsils due to chronic tonsillitis. An experienced ENT doctor was able to diagnose it after seeing my symptoms. I had it for more than five times in these eight years. He recommends me to have removal. But I read that it negativ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having five times in these eight years is not much. Please send a photo of your throat. So that I can guide you further. There is no other alternative option for surgical removal. Antibiotics help a lot in acute attacks. Adults, as well as children, face the same negati...  Read Full »

Why can be the cause of a soft and non-painful lump on the right side of the throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I have a lump on the right side of my throat. The lump seems to be soft without pain. But sometimes, I have pain on the right side of the neck with ear pain. I have a feeling of having small hard stones on the throat. Please help me. Is it cancer? I do not smoke. It ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms and description, it looks like tonsillitis. When it is present for a long time, it is referred to as chronic tonsillitis. It is caused by a bacterial infection and when it stays for a long time, there is the formation of tiny whitish stones. Due...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest me any solution to gain weight.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from tonsillitis for the past three years, so I do not eat properly. But now I eat food twice a day, each time I eat three chapatis even then do not gain weight. So kindly suggest any solution to gain weight as I also have a white discharge problem from the vagina.   Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I see that you have chronic tonsillitis, due to which you do not take food properly and lost weight. You can take protein supplements for weight gain, but have you evaluated for your tonsillitis issue? Have you done any blood investigations, consulted any ENT (ear, nose...  Read Full »

I have white patches in the throat, but the strep test was negative. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Two weeks ago, I developed white patches in the throat. I do not feel a sore throat, but there is slight discomfort, runny nose, and cough. I think it is due to cold. Also, I feel body pain for the past three days. I was tested for strep, and the rapid strep test was negative. The white...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By looking at the history and symptoms, a few things come to my list of differential diagnosis. Before that, I would like to know a few things like whether it is associated with difficulty in swallowing, headache, neck stiffness, etc. As you mentioned you have already t...  Read Full »

What is the cause of a painless bump on the soft palate?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel some tissue or bump on the soft palate. It is soft without pain. I have been having it for many months. The doctors said that it is due to brush injury and will heal, but it did not. What is it?  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are having soft swelling on your palate for quite a long time, which is not tender. So, it may be Ectopic salivary gland. Palatal cyst. To confirm it, you should do FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from this lump to find out the nature...  Read Full »

What are the conditions that cause persistent cough with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Here I would like to tell you about the causes of persistent cough with phlegm. These are: Rhinitis and Rhinosinusitis. Chronic tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis. Chronic bronchitis. Bronchiectasis. Pulmonary tuberculosis. Malignant pathology...  Read Full »

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Why does my Adam's apple hurt on touch?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male with a history of some tonsil problem. About seven years ago, I had both a peritonsillar abscess and mononucleosis around the same time. After that, I began seeing an ENT for some fatigue and for lymph nodes on my neck that were both large and painless. After a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please send me pictures of your throat and of the prescription of the surgery done before? I feel you have recurrent follicular tonsillitis, and you got peritonsillar abscess for the same reason. Chronic throat infection also causes lymph node enlargement, which ...  Read Full »