Q. How can I get rid of chronic idiopathic constipation?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

I have chronic idiopathic constipation. I am unable to have bowel movements. I have to bloat and beginning to develop a stomach pain. Kindly help.

#

I understand that this chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) is not new in onset. Most CICs are present for many years from a young age, and not suddenly at this age. If you have recent onset, I suggest you take some tests. Age is the single factor in decreasing peristalsis in the gut and can cause constipation. Other conditions, such as polyps, and tumor, are also cause of recent change in bowel movements in this age. I suggest you take the following medications:

1. Tablet Rifaximin 200 mg thrice daily for two weeks would help your bloating.

2. Take two Movicol (Macrogol, Sodium chloride, Sodium bicarbonate, and Potassium chloride) sachets at night or increase to two sachets thrice daily with water, which would help improve bowel movement. Consume more water, like two to three liters, before the oral solution works.

Please clarify the chronic or new onset of your symptoms, as I can be more helpful in telling you the reason.

|