Q. Can a dentist tell if I smoke just by looking inside my mouth?

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am going to remove my impacted wisdom tooth in two days. I am a frequent smoker. Can a dentist tell if I smoke or not by just seeing inside my mouth? If yes, how can I prevent the dentist from knowing that I am a smoker? Please help.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query.

Do not smoke before the dentist appointment.

• First of all, I would like to tell you that smoking before tooth extraction is problematic for you. If you smoke before extraction, anesthesia will not be effective. And you will experience too much of pain.
  • Further, smoking constricts blood vessels, so it reduces the blood flow to the extracted area. This impairs the healing of the wound and then develops a dry socket. Dry socket is a severely painful condition associated with unhealed socket and foul smell.
  • So, it is better you do not smoke for now and for at least 72 hours after extraction. It is advised not to smoke for 7 to 10 days after extraction.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|